navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Premium panels - Are they worth it?  (Read 326 times)
learner

« on: November 22, 2020, 09:02:57 AM »

I see that premium panels like (LGís for example) offer better efficiency, temperature drop off, performance degradation and guarantees.

Are they worth the extra cost? Up until now Iíve left the choice of system components up to the installation companies in their offers but Iím wondering whether I should also ask for a Ďpremiumí price. Iím slightly limited by panel size as I want 400W panels and there arenít loads out there.

Anyone been through this process able to help, please?

Thanks
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 09:22:00 AM »

Today's premium panels are tomorrow's bargain, when tomorrows premium panels go on the market.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Nissan micra Spirita   (Short range)
kdmnx

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 10:03:11 AM »

Generally speaking the latest-and-greatest panels aren't worth the cost. However it comes down to what you have most scarcity of. 18x 400W panels would cost a LOT more than 24x 300W panels (possibly twice as much!). However if you have severely limited space then your only way to get higher output is more expensive panels. Manufacturer claims of temperature resistance, superior low-light performance, longer lifespans, and other differentiating factors, tend to be imaginings of the marketing dept.

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
ceisra

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 05:02:08 PM »

I have 16 Panasonic panel which cost a great deal more than others, however they are smaller in size.
The reason for these been installed was my roof spaces would not take standard size panels and the area that could suffers shading.
Panasonics are/were 1600mm long by 800mm wide where standard panes are 1700-1800mm long and 1000mm wide.

A lot of time was spent by me measuring roof sizes ( made easy as its a bungalow ) and then producing scale drawings with various panel sizes superimposed
I actualy used the windows 7 version of paint and selected the display grid option.

I did post pics of the install but the forum can no longer display the original pics

I can repost these if required

16 X 240W Panasonic panels with a 3.6 ABB ( PowerOne ) inverter
http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=40128&sid=36661
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: