navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insulating box section roofing + advice on wall insulation.  (Read 1980 times)
oliver90owner

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 12:28:07 PM »

Probably totally inappropriate for what you are intending to do, but I bought the equivalent of 12 1/2 full sheets of 100mm insulation for a bit over £110 (not including transport, etc). 

I’ve used 5 sheets of Kingspan/Recticel for 2 walls 2.4 x 2.4m with the last sheet stood on end, adjacent to a doorway.  The rest was in 1200 x1200 and 1200 x 600mm sheets (of building cladding?).  These have been used to insulate the ceiling and fill in the rest of bits of walling. 

This ‘workshop extension’ was an addition to a 3.5 x2.2m, already reasonably insulated, workshop inside a sectional concrete garage, so all four walls were not required for this extension.

These sheets were bought at auction over a period of time (earlier, I had missed at least half a dozen full sheets of 100mm Celotex which sold for just a tenner - I had no means of easy transport at the time, but I was hissed off with myself for not getting that bargain).  All second hand, of course.

I always keep a stock of insulation, if some becomes available.  Rolls of rock-wool/glass-fibre roof insulation are often cheap when sold as surplus (I can’t understand people not using any surplus in their roof space - my roof space is packed with the stuff!).

Every little bit of insulation helps.
M

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 05:29:29 PM »

Nosing around, and I spotted something - Proplex sheeting, and Correx sheeting. The Proplex looks like I could staple it in place, so would cover insulation boards, or even insulation rolls (the fluffy stuff).

Is this worth consideration - slap the insulation in the walls, between the uprights, and then just staple some of this over the top?

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
M

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 03:21:47 PM »

Thought I'd share a funny, and the first time I've missed the old Zafira.

So plan A - "Don't worry Mart, anything awkward we'll get it for you with the pick up truck".

Execution of plan A - "Sorry it's in the shop for a week".

Plan B - Carry it back, it's only half a mile.

Theorising plan B - So, shoulder an 8 pack of 3.6m batons across a 7 lane road with central island, then a 4 lane road with central island, without getting stuck, hitting a car, or decapitating an old pedestrian, then do the same again across a 5 lane road with island by the cattery ...... Hmmm!

Plan C - Work out the lengths of 8 cuts, and take a saw with me, then mistreat poor Frg (the midlife crisis car). But she got her own back beeping 'boot open' the whole way back.

MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 03:46:13 PM »

Mart, stop what you are doing & order a soft rack which ties down on the door hinges  / & often also the top lip of the boot depending on which version you buy.

I use rack in a bag, takes 10 mins to set up, then whatever time needed to comfortably fit your load.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Tesla 3 owner,..soon (missus bought it on the sly) MARITAL STRIFE
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
+a shed full of solar panels
M

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 03:57:03 PM »

Cheers Gus, I just had a look on the Google machine and they're pretty cool. Xmas pressie I think.

There's also plan D? I told Anna that Santa Elon would pay for all this, as TSLA had hit $500, but having just checked the share price, I might hire a butler to carry it all for me!  Grin

MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2020, 11:32:36 PM »

Wish I'd had spare cash a few years back for that, back forum ought have a penny shares advisor section I reckon.
(Following renewable ideals obviously).

There are a few of the rack systems on ebay, people either get on with them or use an once type thing, ..we have done long journeys at 80mph with overhanging items (projector screen) & ladders etc. All felt safe, I went overboard on tie downs though (invariably dog leads & climbing karabiners) ..cargo nets in Lidl I think soon?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 11:35:57 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Tesla 3 owner,..soon (missus bought it on the sly) MARITAL STRIFE
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
+a shed full of solar panels
M

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 04:16:38 PM »

Thought I might do an update as stage 1 is complete.

In the end I went with good ole 'fluffy' insulation and some nice T&G cladding to give it a nice finish. But on the ceilings (steel sections) I just stapled up some corrugated plastic sheeting for a simple and clean finish. Forgot to take before pics, so here's one of the old cat photos from Winnieville (a communal area for friendly cats):

This is it part way through:

One of the pens, cleared out and framed up ready for the cladding:

And to prove the importance of insulation, here's a pic of two gorgeous oldies (17 and 19 yrs old) who came in because their elderly owner is in hospital and had to give them up, and whilst they didn't look too bad, when touched they had really bad matting, especially the older girl, so one needed a bit of tlc, whilst the other needed a full shave. The old(er) girl wouldn't move with any coats on, but in the end a solution was found involving an old thick sock and a pair of scissors. They are so friendly and affectionate, that we ended up having to feed them in the main area just so we could clean the pen without stepping on them.

Stage 2. Finished all the steel ceilings and wall cladding, but then decided to order polycarb twin wall panels to mount up close to the plastic roof sections to create a triple glazed effect and also sound proof the building a tad more. So I now have 25 panels in the garage, and 150m of light batton awaiting my attention. It's already warmer in there, and I'm reasonably confident that the two portable A/C units will be able to win in the summer, which they couldn't manage before.

Thanks for all the help and advice, which gave me lots of ideas and thoughts on what to do, and some ideas for the future.

M

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2021, 04:05:47 PM »

Just having a rant, but wondered if I'm over-reacting.

So I've been trying to match up the polycarb panels I've received to the 25 'holes' but took me and Wifey 2hrs, and even then not convinced. But we labelled them all with a code to match where we think they will go.

Then yesterday I decided to tape up the ends, just to stop dirt, insects etc from getting in and making them look dirty. They are only 4mm thick so my tape was too wide, so I'd stick on one end, then cut half off (lengthways) before folding over, but weirdly the cut piece was about 10mm too short on the other end. I started checking and the flippin boards aren't square. For instance what I think is supposed to be 1718mm by 907mm (as ordered) is actually 1717mm or 1720mm (depending on which end you measure (close enough I suppose but pick one)) whilst the widths are 903mm and 914mm. The 1706mm by 916mm is 1702mm / 1708mm by 907mm / 920mm.

And so on, and so on. The cuts aren't straight, look like human knife cuts.

I contacted them and said they aren't square and will be a pig to fit, I'll basically have to hand cut everyone myself. They said they'd take them back if I sent photos showing the problem - tricky but I managed it (more time wasted) - then said they have a -/+ 5mm cutting tolerance.

That's when I got annoyed and asked for my money back as the site allows you to enter measurements in inches / cm's / mm's and states that "All our 4mm Clear Sunlite™ Twinwall Polycarbonate Sheet is cut to your exact measurement, to get your instant online price simply enter your measurements below."

Is it reasonable to 'assume' that if I can enter a measurement to the mm, and that they will be cut to my exact measurement, that they will be cut to -/+1mm?

Anyways, asked for my money back, but annoyed that the poor young lady who has been replying to me, was told by her manager to advise me that there's a 5mm tolerance, despite no mention on the site.

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2021, 04:19:11 PM »

Hi Mart,
       Stick with it, Keep the sheets and just bang them on.
  Then string a line along the bottom and leave enough to drop the rain into the gutter or use my old idea of the 65mm waste pipe gutter that grabs the end of the sheets.
  I recall that Wicks had a nice white 50mm wide profile that could absorb the difference in the width. You will not see the  raw edges because this profile comes I two parts  with the top  convex filler containing rubber seals that waterproof the fill lengths. I one explained my idea for the clamp on gutter and If you would like to know the way it works don't  hesitate to ask,
  Remember we are coping with lockdown as well, so go easy on yourself.
     Biff
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 04:34:32 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2021, 05:14:48 PM »

Many thanks Biff, but just to explain, I'm fitting these inside. Basically I'm going to triple glaze the cattery by fitting these about 10mm below the existing corrugated plastic roof sections, so they need to fit within a 'wooden box' made up of walls on all sides. I find cutting large plastic sheets on my own a right pain, they are hard to handle, position and reach across, hence why I went for precut. I did allow about 4mm play on all my measurements, but I know what an absolute PITA it is to try to fit a non square panel into a hole.

Just a bit pee'd off as I was ready to roll on this bit. The cattery is definitely a lot warmer already, so these panels should finish the job, and make it quieter as there are main roads close on two sides, with heavy freight. If my guess on the 'triple glazing' is correct, then our portable A/C should be able to win in the summer, which is actually more important than heat in the winter, as cats can curl up in nests if they need too.

In your opinion, would you expect these suppliers to use some sort of jig to cut straight lines quick? I'm just surprised how imprecise all the cuts are given the claims of 'cutting to your exact measurement'. I could have done better blindfolded and with a bread knife.  Grin

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2021, 06:03:29 PM »

I don't  know Mart,
    But I do know that when I ask for a 12ft length of 3 x 2,
 They send me 11ft 10 inches..
 I think you are right about being cut with a knife, I have used a Stanley and steel straight edge. It's  tricky enough.
      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
ceisra

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2021, 02:03:40 PM »

M
Due to 2 lots of heavy snow and hard frosts my greenhouse has suffered.
I have quite a few cracked panes and was thinking about replacing the roof glass with twin wall.
Despite the fact your supplier cant measure or cut correctly could you either post on here or sent me a pm with there details please.

I have already spent some time looking for suppliers with product in stock.

Roger

16 X 240W Panasonic panels with a 3.6 ABB ( PowerOne ) inverter
http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=40128&sid=36661
M

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2021, 02:25:06 PM »

M
Due to 2 lots of heavy snow and hard frosts my greenhouse has suffered.
I have quite a few cracked panes and was thinking about replacing the roof glass with twin wall.
Despite the fact your supplier cant measure or cut correctly could you either post on here or sent me a pm with there details please.

I have already spent some time looking for suppliers with product in stock.

Roger

My pleasure mate, and to be fair, their customer services have been great. If you have some help, then perhaps you'd be better off buying whole sheets and cutting yourself, especially as I assume you will have repeat sizes, whereas I have 25 different size holes (so to speak).

I used 'The Polycarbonate Store', but have also now found 'The Glazing Shop', which seems to be a fraction cheaper.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: