navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Octopus Energy FITs and Export  (Read 997 times)
JohnS

« on: December 04, 2020, 11:10:43 AM »

Hi everyone, I need to pick your brains.

I am now on the Octopus Go tariff, giving me 4 hours in the early morning at 5p per hour which I use to charge my PHEV when needed (not everyday) plus some time shifting of the washing machine (on spin hold) especially for hot washes.  Unfortunately my oldish Miele dishwasher does not have a delayed start option.

I want to transfer my FIT contract to Octopus.  At present I am with Npower and they are going to move my FIT to EON in Q1 2021.  If it is going to move anyway, I might as well move it to Octopus.

My understanding is that you cannot combine Octopus Outgoing with Octopus Go.  Does anyone know if I can transfer to the FIT Octopus and keep the deemed export tariff?  I see little merit in Octopus Agile as my PV generation is not sufficient to go down the storage route.

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
nowty

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 12:32:34 PM »

Of course you can, you would be moving over on standard FIT terms, you only lose the deemed export if you opt out of it.

12 kW of PV installed and 67 MWh's generated.
Useable home battery storage of 50 kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15 kWh's.
Storage heaters of 15 kWh's.
EV BMW i3 (another 30 kWh's of storage).
6kW Ground source heatpump.
320,000 litres of water harvested from underground river.
brackwell

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 01:04:06 PM »

I believe you can keep your FITS as is if you go on standard tariff but have to give it up if you go onto Go or Agile and go onto export tariff.  Why you asking here rather than Octopus themselves.
john999boy

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 01:20:42 PM »

As a non EV user (at the moment) but with a separate export meter, I'm watching with interest and wonder if Octupus would benefit me in the future?

8.46kWp solar PV - 169 - 40 slope - 53N. Immersun fuelled DHW.
JohnS

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 10:55:29 AM »

Thanks everyone.

I had an unsatisfactory telephone conversation with Octopus.  The call handler didn't really know about whether Octopus could process a FIT contract with deemed export instead of measured export.

At his suggestion, I emailed the Small Export Guarantee team who deal with FITs and export payments.  I am still awaiting a reply three working days later.

Although I benefit from deemed export, especially as I have a solar immersion, I would accept being on measured export as I could heat my hot water during the GO tariff cheap period.

greentangerine

Osmington, Dorset

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 11:11:34 AM »

I've been with eon for FiT since my system was installed in Jan 2010.   

Their system has improved over the years but TBH I've never had any problems and these days I just submit the reading on their website and it appears in my bank account within the week.

I wouldn't worry about being moved to them.

(I'm with Octopus Go now following a period with Scottish Power after eon - never had the desire nor need to move the FiT - just seemed something that might go wrong somehow)

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210/Solis 4G 2.5)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P/SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250/SB1600)
65 x 58mm SunnPro/Torrent T280 RE OV/SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 10,000 BTU
SoFar ME3000SP / Pylon US2000 19.2kW
myenergi eddi
Zoe ZE50 R135
MG5 SW EV
burble61

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 04:40:55 PM »

Thanks everyone.

I had an unsatisfactory telephone conversation with Octopus.  The call handler didn't really know about whether Octopus could process a FIT contract with deemed export instead of measured export.

At his suggestion, I emailed the Small Export Guarantee team who deal with FITs and export payments.  I am still awaiting a reply three working days later.

Although I benefit from deemed export, especially as I have a solar immersion, I would accept being on measured export as I could heat my hot water during the GO tariff cheap period.

I think its true to say that with a combination of C-19 and the increase in customer numbers, Octopus are not responding as well as they had in the past. Hopefully normal service will be resumed in due course....

I went through a similar scenario. My learning...

- a straightforward transfer of the FITS licencee you use is entirely possible. Once the forms are sent in, Octopus will contact you a while after for the "handover" reading at which point responsibility for payment changes.

- re the deemed export - unless anything else has changed, as others have pointed out, a like for like transfer should not pose problems.

- re "Outgoing Octopus" - yes you are correct, if you want this, you need to be on a "standard" tariff or Agile - but not Go or Go Faster - Octopus state that this is due to the way the business model & tariff design for Go/Go Faster work. Not sure about the Tracker variants.

only slight frustration I had was getting the payment from the last submission to the handover payment out of SSE - oddly some new requirements emerged when I chased them! Also, the Octopus FITS payment system works on a fixed schedule, so the period between handover payment and first request from them for a reading can be longer than a quarter.

I didn't get to the bottom of the situation re existing (metered) export payments - mainly as the problem went away when we had a smart meter installed, but the export MPAN wasn't retained. I'd have quite happily stayed with SSE as their admin was fine, but they were very difficult about the situation with a Powerwall installed, which wasn't an issue for Octopus.

HTH
JohnS

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 05:12:47 PM »

Thanks GT and Burble,

I shall give Octopus a few more days to get back to me.  I hope that their customer service will remain up to the job.  They are advertising hard for new customers so obviously expect to be able to cope.

As you suggest, there is no real need to move the FIT to Octopus. 

John

Iain

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 05:42:01 PM »

Hi HTH

SSE as their admin was fine, but they were very difficult about the situation with a Powerwall installed, which wasn't an issue for Octopus.

Why and how did the suppliers get involved and why do they need to know?

Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - P3 Amita Lithium Battery
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: