navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long distance monitoring  (Read 1888 times)
pantsmachine

« on: December 24, 2020, 05:36:13 PM »

Evening lads,

Merry Christmas to you all and a fine Happy New Year when it rolls around. A wee thing to share with you. I am 190Km offshore in the Eastern Med, floating 1.5Km above the Zohr gas field tonight. My car back home in Scotland is 6,500 Km away from me. Yet with the amazing tech we take for granted I check charge in car and set it to charge at a time that suits me. Could even pre heat it for the wife as its been snowing there while warm here. All this through a handheld device with no wired connection. That really blows my mind! As a wee lad I loved the reprints of 50's sc-fi mags, amazing tales, uncanny stories etc. Living it now!

Through those self same communication devices I received an early Christmas present, my request for voluntary redundancy has been accepted. I will be paid out and start the New Tax year as a free man of leisure and renewable energy. Got a few RE investments lined up including the Scottish hydro turbines, also wind, solar & storage stocks. Might pop down the Wales to see the Ripple Wind Turbine when Sarah invites me and i'm going to look into volunteering for tree planting projects. I fancy this last one quite a bit but i'm a heavily Alpha male and conditioned by 30 years at sea. I'll probably work best on my own in that one. Smiley

All the best to you all in the New Year.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 05:53:30 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

8.045kWh PV system with Solar edge
9.6kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Veg patches & wood fired hot tub
nowty

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 06:35:51 PM »

I took VR 5.5 years ago. I said I would go back to work if I either need the cash or get bored.

In that time my wealth has almost doubled through investments (a lot of them RE) and I'm still not bored. extrahappy

Enjoy. fingers crossed!

12 kW of PV installed and 67 MWh's generated.
Useable home battery storage of 50 kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15 kWh's.
Storage heaters of 15 kWh's.
EV BMW i3 (another 30 kWh's of storage).
6kW Ground source heatpump.
320,000 litres of water harvested from underground river.
pantsmachine

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 07:21:50 PM »

Thanks Nowty, I'm glad to hear it is working out for you and over a good window of time too! We have found that in the last couple of years (practice for the big day) that our real world requirements for money have contracted massively. I don't live fancy and neither does the boss!

I'm going to have a crack at a bit of home automation this year. First up, I'll have a try at raspberry pi and see if i can put together a servo and camera assembly tied back to my smartphone so I can manually boost the HWT when we are kicking back in Turkey. I looked at an EDDI and also Immersun which would do this at board level but i'm loathe to bin what i've got purely on the embedded energy front but also on the idea of wouldn't it be fun if? Also install a camera to see the main switchboard at a distance as well.  wackoold

I have not programmed since 1984! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:31:17 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kWh Heater Storage
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Countrypaul

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 09:12:23 PM »

PM,

Are you aware that Myenergi have an API availabl for the Eddi and Zappi?  No idea about how well they work or what they cover since I don't have a smartphone  Shocked

Just something you might want to be aware of, I think they also interface to the Octopus API - again no details.

These are not recommendations, just information.
pantsmachine

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 09:28:25 PM »

Hey Paul,

I had a look at them last night. Looks good, might go that way but I do fancy a play about with Raspberry. Not to say the two are mutually exclusive. Cheers for the heads up!

18kWh Heater Storage
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Tinbum

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 10:13:09 PM »

Thanks Nowty, I'm glad to hear it is working out for you and over a good window of time too! We have found that in the last couple of years (practice for the big day) that our real world requirements for money have contracted massively. I don't live fancy and neither does the boss!

I'm going to have a crack at a bit of home automation this year. First up, I'll have a try at raspberry pi and see if i can put together a servo and camera assembly tied back to my smartphone so I can manually boost the HWT when we are kicking back in Turkey. I looked at an EDDI and also Immersun which would do this at board level but i'm loathe to bin what i've got purely on the embedded energy front but also on the idea of wouldn't it be fun if? Also install a camera to see the main switchboard at a distance as well.  wackoold

I have not programmed since 1984! Smiley

I closed my business down after years of putting it off and it's been the best thing I ever did. I'm never bored- way too much to do.

Re cameras- I do a fair bit with them and am on another forum. Have a look at the Blue Iris cctv program. It excellent, cheap and packed with everything that you could possibly want and much much more.  Their's a lot going on with AI on the camera images and I now even use those images to turn my outside flood lights on and off.

https://blueirissoftware.com/
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/tool-tutorial-free-ai-person-detection-for-blue-iris.37330/

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
kdmnx

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 09:35:49 AM »

Great news Pants!

Although I'm a bit younger than you (I assume ;-)) I did something similar. Sold my business aged 30 and went to work for the company I sold it too. 5 years after that they paid me to go (long story). Did some consulting for a bit, but getting the 0648 train to London on a Monday morning and the 1920 back on a Friday really didn't work with young kids. Particularly as I didn't need the money.

So I bought some houses to renovate and let (3-bed semis that had been neglected by their council/housing association owners for many decades). My income now is primarily from rent aided by the fact that I keep my bills as low as possible (no mortgage, no car payment, no debt, no TV subscription, no expensive holidays, etc.). My investments are limited to low-fee Index trackers, I moved a significant portion into a Vanguard S&P500 tracker when Cameron announced the Brexit vote, this has grown very well over the years (compared to interest rates, inflation, and other indexes). I'm pleased for those who have made lots of money from picking Tesla and other RE stocks, but that isn't for me, I see it more as "speculation" than "investing".
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 10:23:49 AM by kdmnx » Logged

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
pantsmachine

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 07:48:38 PM »

I am 51 at the moment but TBH, feel like 25 as i remember it to be...The last two years I have mostly taken off as a practice for the main event. The lynch pin being would SWMBO accept me fulltime after 30 years of me working away for 220 to 300 days per year? Its all good. Pheeww!

I get what you are saying about the working week and the grind of it. There's a cracking book out there 'Your money or your life'. I keep a copy at home in Scotland and another out in Turkey, well worth a read. Another is the millionaire next door which can be found on the net in PDF format. Those two set off so many bells in my head over people i knew and ways of behaviour that SWMBO and i use naturally it was like Big Ben at New Year.

The RE has become a huge part of my life from the engineering good sense of it, thru to being kinder to the environment but the strongest is probably the carrot & stick path I like to walk in life. That's always been my way.

Great to read of you guys experiences in exiting the working world and advice on automation, I am trying to not look too hard at the freedom on its way as I become engulfed in thrill!  hysteria
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 07:59:04 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kWh Heater Storage
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
titan

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 12:15:25 PM »

[quote

Re cameras- I do a fair bit with them and am on another forum. Have a look at the Blue Iris cctv program. It excellent, cheap and packed with everything that you could possibly want and much much more.  Their's a lot going on with AI on the camera images and I now even use those images to turn my outside flood lights on and off.

https://blueirissoftware.com/
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/tool-tutorial-free-ai-person-detection-for-blue-iris.37330/
[/quote]

You are comfortable using proprietary closed source software to monitor/record from cameras around your house. It must be easy enough to do something similar with a Pi or other SBC and the dozens of available cameras. From a quick look an their site I couldn't see whether they are just selling the server or providing  web access with some sort of DDNS setup.
pantsmachine

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 02:33:59 AM »

It turns out that I've got control of battery charging times at a distance through SEMS internet portal. Previously I was controlling charge times through PV master which is Bluetooth and thinking that was it,,not so. I just hadn't looked far enough in the app.

I'll tweak the cut off voltage when I get back home to ensure 2nd array runs longer. Cheers Nowty. That gives me the auto control (kind of) to force the Iboost to come on.

I'm sitting in a hotel room in Cairo, I know the Agile times for today, set up pylontechs & leaf charging schedule. I find this level of control at a distance to be wonderful. I fancy more of it. Smiley This the first day of my retirement, flying up to Turkey this morning to apartment, got my pcr test and a bathroom conversion to wet room dead ahead. Happy days!  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 02:38:21 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kWh Heater Storage
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
pantsmachine

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 09:26:55 AM »

I'm still out in Turkey supervising the wet room install. Woke up at 7, morning cuppa. Quick check of the house graph. Anomaly, 500w draw from midnight which should be a max of 200W falling back to near zero as machines cycle.

Whats app to SWMBO when the planet rotates to her spec. She is a kick ass engineer in her own right. Ran thru a few things together and it was a worn phonecharger cable. Earth leak. Bear in mind that I'm 4,500 miles away and I've not seen home since 5th December. That's pretty good going, aye not me, The Boss! Smiley Batteries charging, let the day begin!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 09:36:37 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kWh Heater Storage
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Pages: [1]   Go Up