navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: drill-driven log splitter  (Read 1225 times)
chasfromnorfolk

« on: December 28, 2020, 01:16:08 PM »

Anyone else get one of these? Iím nursing a shoulder injury at the mo, and I thought mated to a heavy old sds it might save mauling...

Within about 3/4Ē it imparted sufficient torque to wrench the log out of my feet planted each side and catch me a wallop on one ankle before I let go the trigger. I shall, of course, have to maul it out.

Even if I devised a (probably pallet-based) solution to mount the log securely, Iím not too confident I can keep hold of the drill.

Anyone fluent in drill splitting to offer encouragement? It was demonstrated by a plausible asian young man whose idea of logging may be balsa rather than ash...

Cheers, Chas
Fintray

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 01:50:12 PM »

You could try mounting the drill securely and just pushing the log onto the splitter but make sure the log can't rotate.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
noah

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 03:40:55 PM »

Don`t persevere with this unless you can mount both drill and log in something really strong. Even so this is not the best way to split a log: a hydraulic log splitter is pretty cheap - you can even make one with a car jack-and this supplies the energy to the log in the correct way without a whole pile of unnecessary torque.
kdmnx

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 03:46:33 PM »

A mate of mine bought a log splitter from Aldi. Has given him several years of loyal service and is still going strong. I'm sure the ones costing 5x or 10x are better, but he is very happy with the Aldi one...

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 04:14:19 PM »

Hi Chas
      I saw a yoke like that being demonstrated by an Aussi bloke, He had it bolted to the back axle of his pickup with the Axle jacked up and the wheel clear of the ground, he had removed a few wheel studs and bolted that yoke in its place, sticking out, looking lethal. Then he just pushed the logs up against  the yoke and the logs went in bits. The pickup was just ticking over. I thought at the time that it was a great idea for a broken leg , or broken arm or both.
 I will admit, he had the hang of it. He is probably  wondering why it never caught on.
     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 04:25:45 PM »

Just trying to think outside the box - could you attach the spike to a long length of sturdy wood (perhaps Hickory?), then with a swinging motion, strike the logs with it? But use your other arm/shoulder, that you are not used to using / aiming ....... what could possibly go wrong?

Seen those devices attached to tractors, and splitting whole tree trunks. Very impressive, but frightening amounts of power/torque.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 04:47:17 PM »

Not sure how long the drill will put up with that TBH

DEsp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
renewablejohn

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 05:41:03 PM »

Forget it. The commercial ones work attached to a 3 ton excavator anything less and your asking to do yourself a nasty injury.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: