navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maximum temperature of wood stove bodies... Does 230C seem quite low?  (Read 1458 times)
GavIsGone

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 04:17:50 PM »

Thanks for all the input and answers.  Some great information there to chew on, which is much appreciated. 

I hadn't factored in the glass having a different temperature from the body, which was really dumb of me seeing as it is a large surface on the stove and is on the front!  So thanks for pointing that out. 

Aside from that, I'm really glad I asked about this as I have also learnt that it's not as simple as getting the stove body as hot as possible; and that a high internal temperature benefits the flue and draw, and that "burning hotter allows other gases and products which would otherwise be wasted in a colder fire."

I also found it interesting that "stoves have become more efficient...by the ability to reduce the air flow to the min required for completish combustion so doing away with excess air taking heat up the flue".

All very helpful stuff from everyone. 

Cheers   Grin
dimengineer

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 04:34:14 PM »

I have my WBS going nicely right now. I'm getting temperatures of 200 - 240C at various points. Its a pretty bog standard IR temperature gun. No calibration cert. 

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
GavIsGone

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 11:49:52 AM »

Hi all

Just thought I'd revisit this as I can't stop mulling it over to try to make sense of it!  A couple of things...

I noticed yesterday that the Woodwarm Foxfire (4kW) has a maximum stove body temperature of 350C.  120C more than the Fireview.  They both have a similar internal layout, are both steel and both have 30mm mica based fire boards.  So that's got me scratching my head! 

Thanks to the responses above I can now see how the glass plays a part in the heat output, and how the internal heat is relevant to many things (burning of secondary gases, flue temps, emissions, etc).  But it still seems logical to me that the temperature of the stove body will have a direct bearing on the amount of heat that can radiate out into the room.  And as such, I can't understand how a stove that's only a bit bigger physically can quadruple the kW output.  Unless it's logarithmic...   Huh

Americans tend to like to do things on a grander scale (no offence to any Americans reading, and I mean it as a sweeping statement).  Having read a fair few threads on the net discussing stove temps, some of the more cavalier wood burning folk discussing running their stoves to a body temp of over 1,000F.  I've even seen 1,200F mentioned (that's 650C in our money)!  Whilst that sounds like a serious recipe for disaster and I have no aspirations to burn my house down, it did on the other hand make 230C maximum seem a touch puny. 

Cheers   
kdmnx

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 02:56:50 PM »

Hi all

Just thought I'd revisit this as I can't stop mulling it over to try to make sense of it!  A couple of things...

I noticed yesterday that the Woodwarm Foxfire (4kW) has a maximum stove body temperature of 350C.  120C more than the Fireview.  They both have a similar internal layout, are both steel and both have 30mm mica based fire boards.  So that's got me scratching my head! 

Thanks to the responses above I can now see how the glass plays a part in the heat output, and how the internal heat is relevant to many things (burning of secondary gases, flue temps, emissions, etc).  But it still seems logical to me that the temperature of the stove body will have a direct bearing on the amount of heat that can radiate out into the room.  And as such, I can't understand how a stove that's only a bit bigger physically can quadruple the kW output.  Unless it's logarithmic...   Huh

Americans tend to like to do things on a grander scale (no offence to any Americans reading, and I mean it as a sweeping statement).  Having read a fair few threads on the net discussing stove temps, some of the more cavalier wood burning folk discussing running their stoves to a body temp of over 1,000F.  I've even seen 1,200F mentioned (that's 650C in our money)!  Whilst that sounds like a serious recipe for disaster and I have no aspirations to burn my house down, it did on the other hand make 230C maximum seem a touch puny. 

Cheers   

I think you're making a mistake if you assume the heat output figures are at all accurate or consistent between manufacturers. Also because different regulations exist as soon as you go above 5kW you'll find a lot of stoves understate their output to be 5kW whereas once you're above the 5kW a lot of stoves overstate their output to make them more attractive to potential customers. 

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
dimengineer

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2021, 04:45:10 PM »

Hi all

Cheers   

Just checking online. 1075F is red hot "Cherry Red". So 1000F does seem "cavalier" as you say.

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
DonL

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2021, 05:02:56 PM »

Don't trust on line, cherry red is more like 800C. Having said that I used to visit a pub in the black country many years ago that had a pot-bellied stove in the middle of the bar (with a rickety fire guard around it) that glowed visibly red on a cold winter night.

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP, 40kWh Nissan Leaf
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2021, 10:30:52 AM »

Very dull red with the lights very low is about 550- 560  deg C.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: