navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for new hydro project  (Read 677 times)
crounauer

« on: January 12, 2021, 11:07:22 AM »

Hello

I live just outside Ellon in Aberdeenshire and have access to a relatively fast running body of water with little head. I'm looking to utelise this to generate some power.

I've taken some pictures and video and will update this post with flow rates in due course.

Links to video
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6xUJPQWQC9eC3ENy9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UPeT3AewxCn4ic6PA

I have realised that its really difficult to generate power with little head so am look for ideas and also to see if it's viable / cost effective.

These are some of the sites / ideas iv'e come across that may be viable...
https://waterotor.com/
Youtube => Gnyo95hon-U
Youtube => V82SVeVXKcA
Thanks for looking.
Simon

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:02:32 PM by crounauer » Logged
crounauer

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 11:13:34 AM »

My links to youtube didn't display
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 11:15:56 AM »

The forum software doesn't render the previews of youtube links correctly - what I tend to do is remove all of the characters before "youtube"  and let people work out the rest.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
ecogeorge

Forest of Dean -Gloucestershire

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 05:47:38 PM »

OOOO  how fascinating ...........
We need  total head (drop ) in  m.  We need litres/min available -is it winter only ??
What length of  water way have you to get max head ??
George
crounauer

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 07:59:10 PM »

I'll get flow rate etc tomorrow, in the mean time this is the layout.

crounauer

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 08:01:13 PM »

We need  total head (drop ) in  m.  We need litres/min available -is it winter only ??
George

The flow is pretty constant 365 days per year. In winter the flow increases with rain / snow.

Thanks,
Simon
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 10:09:42 PM »

George

Exactly !!!   sounds  exiting      and provide some details  here ,I  love to think about hydro ideas

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 10:16:31 PM »

I'll get flow rate etc tomorrow, in the mean time this is the layout.

well the head is more important , than the distance ,     i hoped to have or actually measured 20  meters  of head and  my 4" pipe then was 360 m long for a rated 1.1 kw Pelton  hydro generator , ok  i compromised then , and accepted i get only 760 watts ....

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
marcus

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 12:07:41 AM »

Is the bit you have access to the 55m marked? could you guess the drop?

Not very impressed with the waterotor website - It's a bit lacking in hard figures for the actual output power of installed units at the claimed low flow rates; and a bit too much touting for investors.

When I saw those two blue tubes under the road I thought about 'cobbling up' a couple of archimedes screws to put in them - although actually making a close fitting screw is probably beyond my 'cobbling' capability even if the tubes are round enough.
rogeriko

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 12:44:22 AM »

Unfortunately there is no power to be extracted from a stream flowing gently along like your video unless you can engineer a big drop somehow.

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 02:34:03 AM »

.....and  fight fight it hurts to concentrate  with the music on , so please switch of the speakers and do some silent measurements ,  at your spot and the flow speed suggests to me, that there is a potential fall  and then think, think , think , where the highest point and the lowest point of that stream  on your property is
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 03:05:42 AM by billi » Logged

renewablejohn

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 09:40:44 AM »

If it only drops 1 mtr in 5 at 55 mtrs thats 11 mtrs which on that flow would produce a useful output but the devil is in the detail the most important for that low flow rate is the drop avalable. Easiest way to accurately measure that would be with 50 mtrs of hosepipe a watering can and a set of drainage rods.
crounauer

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 01:45:18 PM »

Hi Guys,

I've now done a few calculations and these are the results.

Flow rate is 0.6m/s which equates to 14.6 litres/sec or 231.4 gal/min per pipe. So total flow rate is 29.2 litres/sec or 462.8 gal/min.

The drop in the part labeled 55meters is 0.6 meters and then from the start of the blue pipes the drop is around 2.4 meters over 15 meters. So the total drop is around 3 meters over 70 meters.

What do you all think?

Thanks.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 02:14:17 PM »

sweet , took me a while  surrender 

But that is not much
So the total drop is around 3 meters over 70 meters

dan_b

SW London

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 02:27:28 PM »

This website has a handy "how much power might I be able to generate" equation which you could use as you now know approximately how much mass of water you can get per second.

https://www.renewablesfirst.co.uk/hydropower/hydropower-learning-centre/how-much-power-could-i-generate-from-a-hydro-turbine/

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: