navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Community Hydro  (Read 763 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 02:12:31 PM »

....  i guess the diesel generators , can help too to recharge  , a few crossings a day are only on battery power

I remember  Paul posting  battery Pörn  pics here  in relation to the ferry

power to gas  will be an option one day too

he hybrid diesel electric propulsion system will use at least   20% less fuel than a diesel mechanical propulsion system  operating at design speed and with the vessel fully loaded, resulting in at least a 20% reduction in CO2 emitted by the Vessel.  At lower speeds and light loaded conditions; greater fuel savings can be achieved and a greater reduction in CO2 emissions.On days with reduced numbers of crossings it will be possible to operate on batteries only for some crossings.In port the vessel is capable of operating on batteries only, zero emissions  ......Overnight Charging:  Power Supply – 400V, 3ph, 50Hz, 125A  Advantage of cheaper over night tariff  No plans to charge during the operation day  From renewable source  10 -13 hour overnight charging window  Automatic plug in system under investigation

https://cmassets.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/CMAL_HybridFerriesPresenatation_040512.pdf

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Fintray

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 03:11:55 PM »

Hallaig, the ferry, cant be easy to charge 750kwh from a 50kw supply overnight. How long is night up there. Huh
Ken

About all day at the moment  whistlie

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
JohnS

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 04:49:16 PM »

I would have thought that there would be a case for the ferry having an onshore battery that is continually being charged so that it can be used to charge the onboard battery during turnarounds.  I believe this is the procedure for the Helsingor - Helsingborg ferry between Denmark and Sweden.

Regarding the community hydro project, the big uncertainty is how much other green energy is produced on Skye and how much of it is curtailed due to the maximum export limit for the Isle.  Also, once the export limit is increased, which generators will rank highest in being allowed to use it?

It also looks to me as though there is none or minimal water storage in the catchment areas and therefore when production is curtailed, the water resource is 'wasted'.  Unlike with a dam where the resource is kept for later use.

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
camillitech

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 07:35:50 PM »

Hallaig, the ferry, cant be easy to charge 750kwh from a 50kw supply overnight. How long is night up there. Huh
Ken

But it is a 137kW supply  Wink

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
camillitech

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 07:44:37 PM »

Ken

But why limited to 50KW?  The Hydro is lmited to 137KW and therefore the charge could be 137+50 = 187KW (Ok assumes no one on the island uses any other electric),  so only needs about 4hrs  Grin

Aye, Hallaig is capable of accepting a 250A supply but current input is limited to 125A meaning we can fully charge in around 10h. So I guess anything over 100kW would suffice.

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
camillitech

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 07:53:52 PM »

I would have thought that there would be a case for the ferry having an onshore battery that is continually being charged so that it can be used to charge the onboard battery during turnarounds.  I believe this is the procedure for the Helsingor - Helsingborg ferry between Denmark and Sweden.

Aye John, I have suggested something similar ( having a large battery bank ashore ) in the past as a means of improving resilience to our frequent power cuts and surges which play havoc with the electronics, despite isolation transformers and multiple UPS systems. Even the main batteries are utilized as a 'shore UPS' in the event of grid failure above 30% SOC. Sadly ruled out on grounds of cost and we do not have a long enough 'turn around' to charge between sailings Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: