navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thermal Imaging  (Read 350 times)
ceisra

« on: January 14, 2021, 01:51:02 PM »

In my quest to stop drafts and cold spots around my house I am looking to take some thermal images.
Google has many pointers towards commercial cameras but they are far to expensive for my needs.

Does anyone have any recommendations for thermal image cameras or even phone adapters please.

The best I can find so far is a phone adapter on Amazon for just over 200.

I am sure there must be groups that own equipment and rent it out but most of the details I can find are still expensive.

Roger

16 X 240W Panasonic panels with a 3.6 ABB ( PowerOne ) inverter
http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=40128&sid=36661
nowty

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 02:07:20 PM »

If your an Octopus customer you can borrow one (FLIR ONE Gen 3) which clips into a smartphone / ipad for a week free.

https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31384.0.html

Otherwise like you say its just over 200 for one.

12 kW of PV installed and 67 MWh's generated.
Useable home battery storage of 50 kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15 kWh's.
Storage heaters of 15 kWh's.
EV BMW i3 (another 30 kWh's of storage).
6kW Ground source heatpump.
320,000 litres of water harvested from underground river.
Fintray

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 03:01:20 PM »

If your an Octopus customer you can borrow one (FLIR ONE Gen 3) which clips into a smartphone / ipad for a week free.

Just looked at the link and it's coming up for a year since I put my name down for a loan of one and still waiting...

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
pantsmachine

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 05:34:32 PM »

Just looked at the link and it's coming up for a year since I put my name down for a loan of one and still waiting...

Same here, buying my own in a month or so

8.045kWh PV system with Solar edge
9.6kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Veg patches & wood fired hot tub
Gareth J

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 09:47:05 AM »

Recently bought a seek shot. Quite a high spec for the money but still pretty expensive. It was the lower resolution one in the range.

It's useful for looking at things within big areas of visually similar materials. Insulation problems in walls, ceilings. Finding ufh pipe routes, hot spots, cold spots. Can actually resolve, from the interior, mortar between concrete blocks on one wall where (presumably) the cavity insulation didn't get to or is damp.

It's not that useful hunting for draughts. Draughts need a hole to peep through, which you can generally see visually anyway. Put hand or face in front of hole and it's pretty effective, quick and costs nothing.

Also not that good at scale, outdoors, it gets befuddled by hot things like the sun and cold things like outer space.

Needed one for a specific business challenge (plate heat exchanger checking) would not be able to justify to save a few s looking for house troubles. Also, would not want to go for a lower resolution - already wonder what the seek shot pro would have looked like.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: