navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elon Musk satellites  (Read 900 times)
smegal

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 09:03:15 AM »

Apparently service is now available in the UK. £89 per month for 150 mbps download and 30mbps upload (beta). I guess it is only really necessary is you are rural with cr*p internet.  And there was me thinking this was some altruistic effort to bring the internet to the third world.  

I guess 150mbps could give an internet connection to a 3rd world whole village, with a little infrastructure.

Also, 150 mbps connection in the UK, if you can get is around £40 a month, so 89 isn't too bad. It's the £400 up front equipment cost that's the killer.  That said, in th eUK, we probably should be using UK connections instead of just exporting money to Musk.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 09:13:18 AM by smegal » Logged

When youíre thirsty, itís too late to dig a well. - Unknown
zaps1

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 09:33:58 AM »

Apparently service is now available in the UK. £89 per month for 150 mbps download and 30mbps upload (beta). I guess it is only really necessary is you are rural with cr*p internet.  And there was me thinking this was some altruistic effort to bring the internet to the third world.  

The sales pitch - as far as I've seen - has always been that it's going to be more expensive than anywhere that currently has decent service: but that this is for places that don't.
rogeriko

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 12:34:41 AM »

You are all forgetting something, Elon Musk started Paypal, which he sold for 1.5 billion to Ebay. He is a money man, just another smooth talking banker.

zaps1

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 07:00:04 AM »

You are all forgetting something, Elon Musk started Paypal, which he sold for 1.5 billion to Ebay. He is a money man, just another smooth talking banker.

He's also a very strange man. And he's someone who genuinely understands the uses of a spectacle, and how to create a good one. And he's a phenomenally talented Chief Engineer at not one but two world-leading companies, SpaceX and Tesla.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: