navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lister generator or similar diesel gennie.  (Read 490 times)
acormack

« on: February 16, 2021, 09:32:55 PM »

I'm looking for a diesel generator, something along the lines of  a Lister Generator 3-8kw but would consider larger. Preferably in Scotland for easier collection but would consider further away. Anyone know of any for sale? I would consider one needing repair as long as generator not burnt out, thanks for looking.
Alan D

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 01:20:54 PM »

Ref : but would consider larger. Preferably in Scotland

It is larger but not in Scotland.
Dorman 6LDT (English Electric Diesels) Three phase. 130 kVA generator

pantsmachine

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 01:51:02 PM »

There was one for sale on Gumtree about 6 weeks ago in Peterhead. Maybe the guy has a source?

8.045kWh PV system with Solar edge
9.6kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Veg patches & wood fired hot tub
acormack

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 08:15:05 PM »

Thanks guys, 130 Kva is too big for a back up gennie lol. Will keep on looking.

I would prefer a lister as we had a lister gen set on the ferry I worked on and it was a great engine. It had done about 30,000hrs and we said we had better take the heads and barrels off and there was little to no wear. We dropped a bearing cap and the shells were like new so we honed the barrels and put a new set of rings in (didn't need them but as it was separate we swapped them out) and it ran away for years after that. Was still going strong when I left that job and went offshore, a great testament to quality British over-engineering which I'm sure we'll never see again.

These engines will run for years compared to the high speed junk that is sold nowadays in my opinion, I'll get one yet....
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 09:02:40 AM »

Listers used to appear regularly on the buy and sell free ads,  Fleabay also auctions them off. I had a nice CS, 8.  I think. I stored it in the shed for a few years. I sold some Solar panels and a wind turbine to a really nice couple, She threatened to land back with the little FD200 if it did not work,  They were among the many who noticed the big Lister compactly stored away, and immediately  expressed an interest I buying it. A few months later they came back with an offer which I could not refuse. By then I had built my 2kw x 120vdc  charger. I could no longer say I had a use for it.
 Paul Camilli , knows all about Listers. Our own Camillitech.
     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Countrypaul

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 01:49:15 PM »

No idea why, but a link tot his popped into my inbox:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1959-Lister-LD1-Diesel-Stationary-Engine-/313414729873?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
Alan D

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 03:36:20 PM »

Ive got a

RUSTON & HORNSBY
TYPE WB
Engine number 2001/02/65/19 No generator. Just a double V belt pully.

Might be worth something in a few thousand Years time.
WillieG

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 08:30:28 PM »

I'm looking for a diesel generator, something along the lines of  a Lister Generator 3-8kw but would consider larger. Preferably in Scotland for easier collection but would consider further away. Anyone know of any for sale? I would consider one needing repair as long as generator not burnt out, thanks for looking.

Hi acormack,

I'm in NW Scotland, and have one that might be of interest.......drop me a pm if you like.

Cheers,
Willie

Off-grid in NW Scotland since 1986, Proven WT2500 wind turbine, 2 x Outback VFX3024E, 1500ah battery, 3.5 kw solar, Outback FM80, Perkins/MeccAlte 11 kva genset.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 08:51:49 PM »

Come to think of it,
      I have a very nice lister engine, sitting on double castors. Extremely easy started but dances around the floor on the castors. I had a project lined up for it but went for a Chinese key start instead. I must post a pic of it on it,s  castors. I know it is much too far away but these make excellent project engines. A bit noisy but really economic and bullet proof.
     Biff.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
acormack

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 10:31:58 AM »

PM sent WillieG and one coming your way Biff.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 01:09:16 PM »

The last time I made enquiries about this machine, I discovered that there were dozens of them for sale on Fleabay, all in various stages of undress and some very good one at the average rate of approx 200 each or less. I bought this one near the top of Malin head from a chap who had previously bought my old fearfeasa accordeon, He bought it at an old Engine fair in Co Tyrone, His badly lit byre was full of them, Because I had made the run which was a good 3 hour+ round trip, I did not want to come away empty handed. He also had half a dozen chinese clones of these Listers which were already beginning to rust some still in their wooden packing cases. It was late 2010 and the country was broke, a bit like now. I knew to look at the one above that it had done very little, There were no sweats or such. It started first pull and did not bounce about the clay byre floor. I chocked the castors and tied it tight to the inside of the van. I think I started it 3 times in total since then, each time , it was acomical sight shuffling round the shed floor.It certainly never did any work set up like it is now. I had plans to match it to a 48v PMG but then,I had lots of plans.
                                       Biff

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: