navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 48V, 1KW turbine, no battery bank + grid tie inverter?  (Read 8758 times)
batat

« on: May 16, 2008, 01:18:22 PM »

Hi All,

I have the turbine currently disabled due to a combination of things unfortunately but wish to try & get the thing working again. The main problem (apart from the control units dump load) is that the battery bank is in a poor condition & so I'm looking at alternative ways of achieving a result. As I have a 48V G.T.I. is it possible to connect it to the rectified output from the control unit directly? I suspect that the GTI would only work above a certain voltage threshold of approx. 40V & thus I'd only gain grid benefit on windy days. I'd also have to try and build some sort of safety circuit which would stop the turbine if the grid failed as the unit would then run un-loaded.

Is this do-able or do you have to have batteries in a system?

Cheers,
Ivan
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:54:12 AM »

You'll need to 1)check voltage range of the grid tie inverter and 2)ensure voltage doesn't go too high when no load on turbine 3)ensure that alternative load is presented when GT inverter is unloaded to prevent overspinning
RichardKB

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 09:25:11 AM »

You may also find the inverter does not like the unsmoothed output of the wind generator.

Rich
myozone

Lizard peninsula - Cornwall

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:50:18 AM »

One of these ? http://www.energyenv.co.uk/WindyBoyInverters.asp Undecided  (corrected link for wind turbines) Wink

Dave...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 03:47:13 PM by myozone » Logged

'Don't live life by the perforations' !
Alan
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »

None of the sunny boy inverters are suitable.

The picture looks different to my Windy Boy 6000.  Huh?

Maybe this one is fit for purpose. ?

Proceed with caution.

Regards

Alan.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 07:39:36 PM »

Hello

perhaps even a bad battery can work like a buffer and then just have a small 300-600 watt gridtie inverter work with  clean dc from battery  Huh

billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 08:24:22 PM »

Or this inverter

http://www.lakebracciano.net/downloads/InfoNetzEngl.pdf

out of their brochure(google translated) "These new grid tie inverters  work in the whole wind generator voltage range from 0 - 85 volts, to protect electronically at the windmill power failure and require no start time."

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Ivan
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 01:20:17 AM »

I've grid fed a 2kW wind turbine into a SMA1100LV. Admittedly it was in a sheltered area, and it had some over voltage protection. Agreed, that you should proceed with caution, but it can be done.
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 11:02:59 AM »

The SMA 1100LV has an input range of 0-60V DC with an MPP range of 21-60V. It's parameters would need to be set to match the power curve characteristics of the turbine as best as possible to get maximum efficiency but for inputs below about 20V you would likely not get any useable output at all.

Volunteer moderator
Ivan
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 12:43:16 AM »

biggest problem with the 1100lv is that according to SMA, voltages over 60v will cause damage - so you've got to get your overvoltage protection right. For comparison, my 48v 2kW wind turbine could easily hit 65v when charging a 100Ah battery in windy conditions.
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »

That's right - all the SMA inverters require overvoltage protection. SMA have produced their own unit for this now called the WBP-Box (Windy Boy Protection Box), combined with a rectifier - but only for larger 3 phase turbines at 400V, 500V and 600V protection levels:

http://download.sma.de/smaprosa/dateien/6197/WBP-BOX-DEN081211.pdf

Doug Selsam, in the US, has made something similar that he calls the Windy Girl but with versions for 60V, 400V and 600V and without the dump resistor of the SMA unit:

http://www.windygirl.biz/

The WindyGirl 60V is designed to work with the SMA 1100LV inverter.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 11:48:32 AM by Ted » Logged

Volunteer moderator
Ivan
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 04:28:37 PM »

Any feedback on the performance of the windygirl? One wonders who pays if it fails to protect the SMA unit? It's probably a lot cheaper than the SMA offering, though
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 04:54:19 PM »

The WindyGirl is certainly cheap and cheerful. I haven't seen any feedback on it on the AWEA mail list. 

Volunteer moderator
briand

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 06:41:51 PM »

I couldnt get into the windy girl web site - it needs a password
Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: