navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10kw Turbine - Help Neeed  (Read 3651 times)
AW

« on: August 01, 2008, 12:04:37 PM »

Hi All,

I've just got my 10kw turbine up, looks the same as paulg25.

So far so good....I've put 3 x 3800 windy boys' on it after quite a bit of reading around. By no means experts, electricains have been very helpful but we're all struggling on power point paramaters for the sma's, presume this can make or brake the system. any thoughts...

The turbine seems designed to turn itself in and out of the wind depending on wind speed and direction. this is linked via a dogvane on top of the head and currently a anometer mounted half way up the mast. would we be better sighting the anometer on top of he head too to get correct wind speed or would the blades give an incorrect speed if the anomter is located behind them.

any suggestion what so ever would be appriciated.

Thanks

Alex
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 01:14:29 PM »

Ideally the anemometer needs to be clear of the blades to get a true reading.

On the SMA parameters - have you read the User Guide for the inverters?

http://download.sma.de/smaprosa/dateien/5659/WB33_38-11-FE2506.pdf

The crucial part is understanding the graph on p32 and the parameters that control it - explained in detail from p57 onwards.

The starting point would be completing as much data as you can in Appendix B checklist in this doc:

http://download.sma.de/smaprosa/dateien/1355/WB_PLAN-11-FE4906.pdf

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 01:18:57 PM by Ted » Logged

Volunteer moderator
Alan
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:11:34 PM »

Hello Alex

You do not mention the type of turbine you purchased, or what over voltage protection you have in place.

Before allowing the turbine to rotate you need to have in place over voltage protection. The Windy Boy inverters will fail in about 3 seconds if the voltage is allowed above 600 Volts D.C.  The design is very poor with the capacitor maximum voltage values being exceeded. You do get a warning flashed up telling you to disconnect the turbine, but the damage has been done. The capacitors blow of the printed circuit board. Also the event is data logged making the guarantee void.  Also a means of applying a load of approximately 16 K.W. for the Chinese turbine is required to stop  to the turbine from rotating over the design speed. The blades go a long way when they come off.

Donít want to appear to negative,  but I have  been there and done it due to bad turbine design with all the fail safe systems in place.

Regards

Alan
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:41:55 PM by Alan » Logged
paulg25

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 01:42:55 PM »

Hello Alex - My turbine is made by Yangzhou Schenzou.  It is 5kW and came with it's own controller and dump load.  It feeds an Aurora 6kW grid tie inverter via an Aurora Wind Interface which also has a dump load!  My turbine has the dog vane mounted on it and has the anemometer part way down the tower.  The turbine will only track the wind if the wind speed is over a preset minimum speed, 2MS I think.  This is because it is assumed that at lower wind speeds the dog vane will not follow the wind.  The wind speed is also used to furl the turbine in high winds to limit the output power and to protect the turbine.
The turbine will generate useful power at below 2MS (the Aurora Inverter works down to 45V input) but it has to be manually pointed into the wind.  At these speeds the dog vane is still following the wind but I don't know at what point it ceases to work.

I am currently designed my own controller to replace the one supplied.  The dog vane 'twitches' when working, I assume because of the turbine blades rotating in front of it, so I will use this twitching to indicate that there is sufficient wind for the turbine to follow it.  This should allow the turbine to generate in all but the lightest of winds.

I will keep you posted as to progress.

All the best

Paul
AW

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 03:06:16 PM »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your replies.

Would be interested to hear how you get on paul, i'm not happy with the anometer being on top, i think its getting delected wind and in turn not giving the controller corect data. i think i;m right in saying that it relies on this data for head direction.

Any other thoughts would be appriciated.

Cheers

Alex
Adam

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 08:25:45 PM »

Hi AW, have you any pics, not sure if iv'e seen a 10kw Grin
paulg25

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 11:09:31 PM »

Hi Alex - from what I have so far learned the dog vane being mounted on top of the nacelle is not a problem.  As long as the turbine is being pointed into the wind to within +/-15 degrees, the turbine will still produce over 95% of what it would if it pointed directly into the wind.  The dog vane on my turbine kicks and bucks all over the place as the turbine blades pass in front of it, but the controller software averages these readings.  I do not know how far the wind direction has to alter before the controller decides to move the turbine or how a long a period it averages the dog vane readings for.  I have have never seen it move apart from when I have played with the manual controls but it is always pointing into the wind.

Hope this helps a bit

Best regards

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: