navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New inverter, advice please?  (Read 8249 times)
Adam

« on: May 23, 2008, 09:03:42 PM »

Hi thinking of upgrading my navitron modified wave 1000w 48v inverter for somthing that can run my fridge freezer and can cope with surge loads like tv ect.

If i run my 22" tv off the 1000w everything has to be off just to switch on the tv after that i can run much more.

Ive found this http://www.thepowerstore.co.uk/product.asp?ID=1457Seems well priced has any one got one?

For an extra 280 i can get the same inverter but 3000w Grin, i don't need 3kw but i'd rather have something on top of it's job and you also don't know what upgrades that will happen in the future?

My fridge freezer is quite small and draws about 250w but i'm sure it need at least 1.5kw to start it Roll Eyes

is a 3000w inverter wastefull running about 500w? will it use much more power than the 2000w? are they reliable?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:08:00 PM by Adam » Logged
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:12:03 PM »

Drawing 500W from a 3000W inverter will be done at a lower efficiency than drawing the same from a 2000W inverter so the losses will be higher.

The manufacturers of the Cotek only seem to give efficiency figures (95% for the 2000 and 94% for the 3000) for full load. You need to know the figures across the full output range to make a reasoned choice.

Volunteer moderator
Adam

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 06:31:43 PM »

Thank's ted  Grin

I may just go for the 2000w inverter, it has max power of 2300w (3min) and a surge of 4000w should be enough for my needs.
Joules
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 09:12:05 PM »

Why not buy a small TSW inverter for when you don't need to run big loads.   We are planning to run 2 small TSW inverters, then maybe add a large MSW inverter when our battery bank can handle it.  Using multiple inverters also means it one bits the dust, you still have a reserve.

Joules
Adam

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 12:09:36 AM »

Hi, I need the larger inverter for the surge loads, my 1000w MSW can only just switch on the tv, from experence running an inverter on its limit seriously shorterns it's life Roll Eyes.

The 2000w TSW can't be that much less efficent than my current 1000w MSW................. Or can it? Huh

Now i need to add to my battery bank, how do you add new batteries to 3yr old ones, is it possible?

Any reccomendations on batteries?
peter999

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 10:23:48 AM »

Hi Adam
            I Have a Sinergex 3000w 12v inverter that looks EXACTLY the same as the Cotex one!

It is very well built and has lots of features including a low power standby mode, but Ted is correct its efficiency does decrease when you are drawing less power, I draw between 800w and 1.7kw off mine and i recon the efficiency is about 85% but when drawing lower currents the cool fans run slower than when you draw higher currents so these a saving.

Mine may not be the most efficient but for 600 new!! a pure sinwave inverter with a 3kw rate and max peak of 6Kw im not complaining.

regards Peter
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 11:14:50 AM »

On efficiency of inverters here's a graph for the SMA 1100LV I've dug out as an example.

You'll see that below 300W the efficiency drops off a cliff. It is this sort of info that you need from the makers when trying to decide if running a particular inverter well below it's rated output will be sensible or not.

* SMA1100LV.PNG (12.65 KB, 455x280 - viewed 2205 times.)

Volunteer moderator
Adam

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 08:52:29 AM »

My MSW inverter has bit the dust again  Huh so i now need a new one, called the power store and asked them about the Cotek inverters, they said they where good and reliable but are made in China so the back up is not as good as the Victron they also sell.

I have found an tech spec http://www.victronenergy.com/TechnicalInfo/TechPDF/Output%20rating%20operating%20temperature%20and%20efficiency.pdf Is this spec reasonable?

Has anyone got a Victron?
camillitech

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 06:28:09 PM »

Billi's a Victron man and he thinks it's the dogs Grin me I'm a Trace man cos they're idiot proof Roll Eyes

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Adam

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 08:10:33 PM »

I'm hoping my next inverter is the last one i need to buy Grin

What do you think of your Victron Billi?
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 08:57:41 PM »

Hello Adam

To be honnest its my first inverter and cannot compare.... but did some research before ,  Tongue (took me a while to read trough)

Upto now i am very happy and when installed i was happy with their support helpline in holland  ( i did connect up all myself as a "greenhorn " two years ago so thought i can brake something and rang them a few times , much better service then the crowd i bought it from)

It depends how much features you need but iam very impressed about how i can tune all to the right settings ( mine is a Victron Multi Plus with a charger for a generator integrated .... so needed some settings adjusted)
As well to connect them in parallel to double our tribble the power .... and switch them off for times you need not the full power ...

But in total just had not had any trouble jet  ....

Here is something to read , if you like

http://www.barging.co.uk/inverters.htm

http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/ElectricityonBoard_rev8_july2004.pdf

All the best billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: