navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forklift  (Read 3040 times)
Adam

« on: June 10, 2008, 07:37:51 AM »

Hi, ive just aquired this forklift for my workshop (or swapped it for 380 worth of fence posts)and has 1000hrs on the clock.

Im after some advice as when i found it the cells were completely discharged and dry Roll Eyes ive topped up the cells and its been on charge for 12hrs at about 30-50 amps (18cells).
The forklift works fine but most of the cells are under 2v the charger has an equalizing setting that seems to put about 10-20 amps in or normal charge at about 40amps (timed).
Can you tell me what i can do to maintain and get a little mor life out of the cells?
As for the forklift it will only get occasional use and it seems to do everything i want it to do and ive never managed to flatten the battery yet.

The charger is single phase, if i connected it to my 3ph 30kva generator would the unbalance on the phases harm the generator? The generator is running every other day for about 1/2 an hour running a pressure washer, this would be ideal for maintaing the battery.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 07:44:13 AM by Adam » Logged
PEMTEK

If I can I usually do

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 12:56:54 PM »

If the cells have been completely discharged they are unlikely to be very healthy but they may recover to give some useful life. The answer to keeping batteries healthy is keep them charged and discharge them as little as possible.

A float charger is an easy way of keeping them topped up.

If it aint broke, you aint trying..
Ivan
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:01:51 PM »

I bought a knackered forklift for 100. One bank of 24v registered about 6v, the other registered absolutely nothing. I trickle-charged for about 4 days, and eventually one bank came up to correct voltage and worked consistently well. The other bank came up to voltage, but never retained its charge well. To begin with, I could get about 4hours light work out of the forklift,but it steadily dropped to about 30minutes useful work, over the period of about 2years.

I think you can have the batteries professionally revamped. It ain't cheap, but it might be something you could do yourself if you ignored the safety risk
northern installer

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 10:22:37 AM »

Hi Adam;Have you considered using the forklift's battery bank for a wind/solar installation,then just remove the interconnection on the odd occasions you need to use the forklift for its proper purpose? a smallish parallel battery set woud keep things going meantime....that way you would always have a charge in them without wastage.

re:3 phase gen,if operating on single phase,connect something power hungry to the redundant phases,a couple of 1000w halogen floods used as workshop lighting perhaps;all phases balanced is best,some load on each phase,not balanced is ok;open circuit phases will very soon ruin the alternator. lightley loaded alternators will suffer shortened life,load it till it grunts is best!

"government scrappage scheme still available on Tardis trade ins (dont ask how we get around the deadline...)"
Ivan
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »

I used to charge my forklift from wind turbine about 50% of the time! But I didn't use it too often, so I could afford to wait for the wind
Adam

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 09:21:32 PM »

Thank you all for the advice Grin

Checked the cells this morning with a different volt meter and most of the cells were reading 2.09v and 2 cells were 2.5v (have been using it and was last charged 2 days ago) been on charge all day and the cells tonight are reading 2.57 - 2.59, 2 cells are reading 2.8v.

How long and how often do i equlize the battery?

The workshop is over 1 mile from my house  Embarrassed otherwise it would make an ideal mobile battery bank for my turbine allthough it is 36v and my system is 48v  Roll Eyes, it could still be used to charge the forklift.

My neighbour (who i bought it from) has a friend who is a forklift engineer. Owning a wind turbine Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin i'm sure you all know what my next question would be Grin
He might know of a large 48v forklift battery, it weighs over 1tonne, come with case and connectors.
The battery is 5 years old and apparently unused but he's unsure of the condition of the cells Roll Eyes he thinks the owner is looking for 350 for it, is it worth it or is it too risky?

Thanks

northern installer

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 09:30:34 PM »

Adam,5 years,unused,and dry since release from the manufacturer=probably good
                                  unused,filled and kept religiously charged=might be ok
                                                          unused,filled,neglected= vomit

"government scrappage scheme still available on Tardis trade ins (dont ask how we get around the deadline...)"
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 04:55:13 PM »

owner is looking for 350 for it, is it worth it or is it too risky

I would say  get it... (ok test it as well) , but the lead content in that battery  about 600 kg (normaly) is perhaps  worth 200-300 pounds anyhow    tumble

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: