navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: electric eels  (Read 3353 times)
plumbskill

« on: June 12, 2008, 03:57:37 PM »

anyone know how much electricity an electric eel produces. im thinking of getting a load and putting them in a tank in my lounge to power my lights etc.How do you get the wires stuck to the slimy tails.

yes, i know im crazy......or am i?
martin

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 04:00:13 PM »

probably work better than a Swindlesave.......... chocolateteapot

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 08:25:05 PM »

500 Volts at 1 Amp but only for 2 milliseconds at a time and the charge will dissipate through the water. You'll need a lot of eels and a big tank.

I'm also not sure if the eels would give off a charge when they know that other eels are close by.

Perhaps keeping them out of a water tank, maybe strapped to a plywood board, and just spraying them with a fine water mist might work - they breathe air anyway.

How are you going to feed them?

Volunteer moderator
Joules
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »

Guy's having just been resuscitated, I can assure you electric eels are not easy to handle...  Also they are not compatible with bio fuels.  After the severe shock, causing involuntary release of said eel into our ethanol tank, we will be clearing the crater where our bio ethanol plant used to be...  Thank goodness the blast threw me well clear of the ensuing inferno  flyingpig  The cooked eel was delicious however.

Joules
plumbskill

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 11:41:46 AM »

i thought i would feed them on minced Gordon Brown, probably too much hot air in it though

hot air.....now theres a thought
roys

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 01:35:48 PM »

Would you not feed them on currents!!!!
plumbskill

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 02:48:09 PM »

saw a programme about glow worms the other day    started to get excited until they said they only glow in the mating season    perhaps a bit of disecting is needed to find out why      whats the answer Ted
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 03:47:30 PM »

Females glow in order to attract mates and I would guess this is triggered by hormones and seasonal climate.

I think the best approach would be to get several million glow-worms, extract the relevant active chemicals (or maybe even find an alternate source) and produce the light quite separate from the insects.

A google on bioluminescence should turn up a few pointers. There are lots of other possibilities apart from glow-worms even bacteria.

Volunteer moderator
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: