navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ask someone at the crematorium...  (Read 7552 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: June 19, 2008, 08:00:16 PM »

How much output does a weeks typical burn-up at the crematorium kick out in terms of useful energy otherwise unharnessed?

that said, & bearing the high cost of funerals, do any crems actually utilise the "fuel" into warming the rads etc? (would they admit it, or is it good old Daily Mail scandal if they did)
surely with tougher regs & businesses having to go greenwith waste etc crematoriums are prime for a good set up & carbon trading vouchers for sale? ..seems logical & not overly distasteful to me!  whistlie

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
mespilus

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 08:16:04 PM »

One of the hidden drivers of Council Tax increases has been the need to clean up crematorium emissions.

Think of all that mercury amalgam going up the flue.

Thinking about it I've never been cold in a crematorium building.

Now in the HS2 blight zone
Mike N.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 09:31:17 PM »

that said, & bearing the high cost of funerals, do any crems actually utilise the "fuel" into warming the rads etc? (would they admit it, or is it good old Daily Mail scandal if they did)
surely with tougher regs & businesses having to go greenwith waste etc crematoriums are prime for a good set up & carbon trading vouchers for sale? ..seems logical & not overly distasteful to me!  whistlie

I believe Chelmsford and Manchester are considering it, and Stockholm already do:

08 November 2002 
Swedish crematorium heats Stockholm housing
A crematorium in Stockholm has opted to become more environmentally friendly by pumping the excess heat from its furnace into the city’s central heating system, reports the Swedish national newspaper Dagens Nyheter.

Five years ago, the Racksta crematorium offered to channel its excess heat to water carried through the city’s central heating system to warm houses and apartment blocks. At the time, power company Stockholm Energi declined the

offer, believing that the move would be unpopular with the public.

But the offer remained, and instead of condemning the idea as unethical, a number of bishops and members of the public have declared the initiative appropriate and environmentally friendly. Two other crematoriums already tap into the heating network, with Racksta set to become the third, says DN.

The idea stemmed from the crematorium’s need to cool down the furnace to clear it of smoke. Because the operation would require a large volume of water, a link to Stockholm’s heating system was proposed.

Although water pumped from the pipelines is relatively hot, it is still cool enough to reduce the furnace’s temperature from over a thousand degrees to 150 degrees. In the process the water itself is heated up, thus contributing to the city’s central heating. The alternative method of cooling the furnace, using electric fans, is energy intensive and expensive, while the new method benefits both the city and the crematorium.

I have also been told that for emissions reasons, you can no longer be burned in your favourite wellies, though leather boots are OK.

Mike
ajstoneservices
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 09:52:51 PM »

Wont be a problem much longer once this Government and the next have finished extracting the last drop of blood, you're fillings and hair will be next.
Ivan
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 01:49:56 AM »

Isn't that an idea suggested in the 1932 novel 'Brave New World' ?
KenB

Energy Self Enlightenment

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 10:11:24 AM »

List,

Most crematoria are fired by natural gas, in order to get a rapid, high temperature combustion to eliminate emissions.

Having recently visited one, I observed a huge amount of heat plume from the chimney.

I suspect any heat recovery system would be deemed a little bit "in bad taste".    I demand a rebate......

Ken
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 10:54:46 AM »

Mercury emissions from crematoria have been the subject of considerable concern over recent years with projects to install chimney scrubbers to address the problem. A large percentage of the Mercury in the UK atmosphere is, or was, from this source.

Volunteer moderator
Ivan
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 04:39:42 PM »

from fillings?
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 06:03:51 PM »

Yep, dental amalgam is 50% mercury.

The average emission is 0.9g per cremation. Without the scrubber programme crematoria were heading to be producing 30% of UK mercury emissions by 2020 mainly caused by the changing profile of the dental state  of the deceased over that period.

Coal powered electricity generation is mostly responsible for the balance. Total annual UK mercury emissions are a staggering 7.6 tonnes.

Volunteer moderator
Ivan
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 08:45:13 PM »

Hmm. An easy solution might be to remove teeth prior to burning. I bet that would be a lot cheaper and even with scrubbers, I bet some mercury gets through. Can't imagine it would be very popular with the clients though.

Incidentally, I heard that breast implants are a major problem in crematoria - especially in the USA, where a considerable proportion of middle class women have this luxury upgrade....
ajstoneservices
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 10:19:07 PM »

luxury upgrade....

That's a matter of opinion vomit ain't nothin like the real thing baby
heatherw

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 10:27:40 PM »

Do I scent an anecdote?

How do you know? stir
ajstoneservices
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 10:50:10 PM »

Heather
your'e not trying to squeeze an answer from me are you.

Tony
NickW

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 09:02:53 PM »

One of the hidden drivers of Council Tax increases has been the need to clean up crematorium emissions.

Thinking about it I've never been cold in a crematorium building.

Not really - most municipal crematoriums make a decent profit. The problem is the profit is gobbled up as a surplus rather than part of it being banked for replacements / upgrades.

Ask Questions, look for evidence, think for yourself

Gold is the currency of Kings, Silver the Currency of Gentlemen. Barter is the Currency of Peasants, whilst DEBT is the currency of SLAVES
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: