navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air heating  (Read 4332 times)
Nick_W

« on: August 14, 2006, 11:50:36 AM »

Could a ground source heat pump be used to heat air? For instance in a house which has a heat recovery system. I was hoping to have just one big heat exchanger in the output from the heat recovery system rather than underfloor heating throughout the house.

I am hopefully self-building a new house which I am hoping to build to a very high standard of insulation (using SIPs). I realise that heat pumps heat water to relatively low temperatures and that this might not work in a less well insulated house but hopefully it will work for this...
madandy

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 12:28:53 PM »

I hope it will work because that is what I plan to do! The 5Kw heat pump from navitron is a warm air heat pump and my plan is to connect this to my HRV system - I have built a well insulated air-tight house (SAP 100; avg U value 0.1) and the heat pump and HRV system will be my primary air heating source with a small wood burning stove as back-up. I have been assured that this will more than meet heating demand Grin Although my wife is very worried that it wont and keeps asking for an AGA! Tongue
Nick_W

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 03:18:46 PM »

That sounds very similar to what I hope to do  Cheesy

So the 5kw unit is an air heater? I probably didn't read it right but I thought it was water-water?

We also want a wood burner - I thought it would work particularly well if you have one of the intakes to the HR system next to the woodburner, it should spread the heat around the whole house. We also want a solar panel for the hot water and maybe a wind turbine when the grid connect inverter prices come down.

The aga will probably produce too much heat for such a well insulated house! We currently have one in an old cottage and it probably accounts for half our heating bill - which is very large. I think it's equivalent to having a 3kw heater on permenantly  Shocked
Nick_W

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 03:59:11 PM »

P.S - which heat recovery system did you get?
madandy

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 11:25:50 AM »

Hi Nick; Ubbink Grande - Excellent service from the company- cheap to run (DC motors), easy to DIY install. If I remember right the technical sales guy is Mike johnston - they have a web site to get phone numbers etc. All the best Smiley
madandy

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 11:28:27 AM »

PS - they claim that it is 95% efficient!
Nick_W

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 12:26:54 PM »

Thanks Andy, that looks good

Which company did you get your SIPs from? Did they build the whole thing or just the shell?  Smiley
madandy

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 12:51:00 PM »

I went for ICF from polarwall, once again could not recommend them highly enough Smiley - I know it was not the 'green' option, but because of the low everyday energy use it will turn out (hopefully) to be environmentally sound. We are also going for solar panels (hot water - on order) and a grid-tie wind turbine (not yet ordered). Will post some pics when I can get round to it.
Nick_W

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 12:59:19 PM »

Sounds ideal. We haven't even got planning permission yet but if you do then we will be following in your footsteps  Wink

Have you run your heat recovery system yet? I just wondered how quiet/noisy it was?
madandy

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 11:07:22 AM »

Yes! It is very quiet - but I believe that many of the new generation systems are much quieter than older systems. Have just read an article on passive stack ventilation v heat recovery ventilation. The argument that HRV is better only holds true with good insulation levels and an air-tight structure that will remain air-tight over the years, otherwise apparently passive is better! Too late for me, (but I believe I have chosen the right system)  but it could be worth your time investigating the various claims for both systems! Smiley
Ivan
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 11:27:49 PM »

Yes, the Navitron 5kW heat pump is water source - hot air delivery

Ivan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: