navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: solar hot water for cooking.  (Read 8165 times)
Ivan
« on: July 05, 2008, 12:41:49 AM »

Another totally overcast day today - no direct sunshine at all.

A single Navitron solar tube was filled with water at 11am, and left in garden all day. At 4pm it was emptied into a pan as a head-start for cooking pasta. Temperature 72C. When my wife isn't looking, I'm going to try the pasta directly in the tube....watch this space.
Ivan
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 04:13:23 PM »

Overcast/heavy rain in morning. We put tube outside around 10am. Around 2.30pm, the sun came out, and by 3pm the water was around 85C, so 1litre was removed to make tea.  The tube was topped up with cold water (poured in very slowly, and tube rotated whilst pouring, as a precaution against thermal shock). The temperature of the contents of the tube (1.4litres) was 35C following addition of the water. It's been bright/sunny since then, athough sun has been in and out of the clouds constantly. By 4.05pm, the water had reached 85C again.
NickW

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »

Don't want to point out the bloomin obvious but....

As you have a pretty hefty solar water heating system - why not just use hot water from the tap?

(granted this water would not be best for making tea but fine for cooking veg, pasta, rice)

Ask Questions, look for evidence, think for yourself

Gold is the currency of Kings, Silver the Currency of Gentlemen. Barter is the Currency of Peasants, whilst DEBT is the currency of SLAVES
Ivan
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:01:46 PM »

not keen on the copper content (if you look at a bath full of hot water, you'll see a distinct green tinge). Also, did you see the state of Wookey's cold water tank?!
NickW

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 11:11:41 PM »

I haven't = dont tell me he had a dead pigeon in it? Grin

I agree - I wouldn't drink water from the hot supply - unless desperate. However I have no qualms about using the hot water the cook veg in.

Gold is the currency of Kings, Silver the Currency of Gentlemen. Barter is the Currency of Peasants, whilst DEBT is the currency of SLAVES
Ivan
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 11:17:30 PM »

Wookey's harder than me - it didn't look in a good state, but he's happy to drink the hot water from the tap. Can't remember which thread it's on. I'm sure you can find it if you search.

My worries extend also to fibreglass fibres. Wouldn't want to eat them, as they don't come out.
NickW

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 02:25:47 PM »

Most modern tanks are HDPE - i think?

The one I took out of my parents loft when we did the solar water heating was asbestos cement. Had to break it in half aswell to get it out the loft tumble

Ivan
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 03:17:30 PM »

Yes, most are plastic - I was using Wookey's as an example of what you might find up there. The biggest problem (for me, at least), is the accumulation of debris, mouse poo, mouse wee, fibreglass, dirt in the tank, and any resultant bugs that might grow on the aforementioned.Even covered tanks have to have a hole for the overflow pipe, and this is usually rather larger than the pipe.

Which reminds me.....

Basil: Manuel, I'm sorry. This is an emergency. Important. See? The health inspector's just been. Things wrong with hotel. We put them right, by tomorrow. All right? Now, Manuel. Go up to the roof. The roof?
    Manuel [Manuel gets up and leaves the room]: Sí
    Basil: In the... [Basil stops him] ...No, no. I haven't told you yet. [Manuel comes back in] Now, go to the water tank.
    Manuel: Water.
    Basil: Water tank. Water on roof in tank? Yes?
    Manuel: Sí, sí, sí.
    Basil: Two dead pigeons, in tank, take out.

[Manuel gives Basil a puzzled look.]

Basil: This isn't difficult Manuel. This isn't a proposition from Wittgenstein. Listen, two dead pigeons, water tank.

[Manuel laughs.]

Basil: What is funny?
    Manuel: How they get up there?
    Basil: How they...They flew up there.

[Manuel starts laughing again and makes pig noises while flapping his arms.]

Basil: Now stop...Will you just pull yourself...Oh, not pigs, pigeons.
    Manuel: ¿Qué?
    Basil: Pigeon, pigeon. [Picks up a dictionary.] Like your English. [Flicks through dictionary to find pigeon.] Piaton, pifle, pig, pigeon. Pigeon
Plottman

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 09:28:04 AM »

Have been experimenting with solar water heating on the cheap: Poundland larger brolly coated on inside with mylar reflective film + foil tape, not a pretty job! sawn off handle so can store easily opened indoors. a bolt up the top spike (tube) inverted and held by b&d workbench, aimed high of the sun brings hot spot conveniently clear of centre.
Wilkinsons pyrex casserole dish covered on offer, suspended by string & strong wire cradle, from bean stick tripod, contains vessel of choice in matt black (barbecue paint), quickest for me is poundland ally water bottle.
With the not so wonderfully long sunny spells of late many drinks + stock cooking water in t/flasks has been the result.
Now on the lookout for Large sat dishes etc. of course guard your eyes.
Still require a vac tube kettle tho Ivan hehe.
Another permanent piece of solar kit is a cardboard box mounted on 50mm celotex type stuf, cut about and foil lined, contains the solar shower bag, brings a whole bowl of washing up water to "too hot to hold your hands in" temp, in a couple of hours of decent sunshine; shower 2.99 gbp, box nowt, foil tape had already. if the cardboard box had a clear lid better performance still would be expected.
As I am a reasonably keen gardener, the thought had occurred Ivan of yet another use for free solar power! sterilising compost/loam yes?  with weed seeds and fungal spores etc removed by heat, the resultant medium can be usefull for adding to seed drills to reduce hand weeding in the seed row or whatever.(i think the temp will get high enough someone correct me if wrong)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: