navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tower height  (Read 1769 times)
char11ee

« on: September 01, 2006, 11:58:00 AM »

I live in Spain, house located on the side of a moutain (1000m asl ) south facing, very tall pine trees to the rear on rising ground also to the sides, in front the land is terraced with olives and almonds on them, I effectively have no ideal clearing for my 1kw wind generator less than 400 metres and unfortunately cannot erect on top of the mountain.

My questions are     
                            can I use the standard 2m sections and how many?
                            do I have to use a different tower system?
                            anyone gone higher than the standard 6m?
                            what size cabling would I need if I located the wg 400m from house?

This is a 48v system, I have 12 x 115v deep cycle batteries, standard supplied controller and inverter, optional controller and dump element as supplied by Navitron.

Any other tips and info would be greatly appreciated.

char11ee

Ian
installers

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 11:58:48 AM »

I envy you !

The Navitron turbines come with 3 x sections normally. Each section is 1/3 of tower. The sections are tapered so you cannot just bolt another one on top. The taller towers still have 3 sections but have longer sections; that is how they manage to get higher.

Yes, you can use a different tower. I suggest you get a local guy in Spain to design and install the tower for you; a homebrew tower is quite feasible but not for the faint hearted.

It is quite normal, and I would say logical and desirable to use a taller tower than the ones supplied. Regard the standard supplied tower as the absolute minimum height. Conventional wisdom says you should install your turbine AT LEAST 30 - 50 feet ABOVE the nearest obstruction within 500 feet. This is just an attempt to avoid the turbulence created by the objects and tries to get you into laminar air flow. But it is not foolproof and again, should be regarded as minimum.

There is a cable loss calculator on the Navitron web site (and other places). I would advise you to play and determine the wire size for yourself. If you really cannot do this, then maybe another post with all the facts and figures is in order.

I think there is a typo as I do not think you have 115v batteries (although this is possible). You either mean you have 12 individual 115 Amp Hr 12 volt batteries (this is a good size of battery bank), or you have a total of 115 AHr 12 volt battery set. Or maybe you mean something else. I think you will have 12 x 12v batteries configured as a 48v battery set.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ian
char11ee

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 02:53:47 PM »

Hi Ian

And the vista is to die for!!!!!!!!

Correction I have 12x12v 115amp deep cycle batteries.
wondered if an extension or two to the standard mast might do the trick if they are optional extras! otherwise would consider your advise and have a tower fabricated on site.

As stated I have an area maybe 400m away that the wg could be installed but I still don't have 500ft uninterupted space away from obsticles, also it's the cable to the house that worries me, what size do I need? is 2.5 armoured enough I have  2or3 50m lengths on hand  but 400m!!!!!

My power requirement is for lighting/tv chp (lpg combi) video only. All the more demanding items ie w/machine, vacuum cleaner etc are catered for by diesel generator on a different circuit so will not interfere with wg system.

char11ee

Ian
installers

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 03:13:53 PM »

Hmmm - Maybe you should reconsider whether you install a wind turbine or not.

However, if you already have a 48v wind turbine then I think your best bet is to fit the controller and inverter at the base of the mast and run 230v modified sine wave at 50hz back to your house where you can transform it back down to 50 - 56v to feed your batteries. This will give you less line losses for the same equivalent cable than run 48v back to the house.

I would still urge you to play with the line loss calculator downloadable from the Navatron site (and others) to see the effect of different wire sectional areas.

If you do not yet own a turbine and are still determined to get one, then go for a 240v version rather than a 48v one and transform down back at the house.

I am not aware of any commercially available extensions to the standard masts. It would be possible to fabricate extensions, but I would not want to do so. I would start again with a purpose built mast.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ian
char11ee

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 03:32:53 PM »

I purchased the 1kw wg from Navitron a few months ago, took it to Spain along with batteries sourced here in the UK as costs are tremendously higher for batteries over there (for example, 2 batteries for my Mitsibushi Pajero came to a hefty 264euros + 16%vat so wouldn't even bother looking to buy 12. So bit by bit am taking everything needed from UK.

Anyway I'll take up your advice and look at the line loss calculator.

many thanks

char11ee
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: