navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best value solar panel  (Read 8241 times)
rosebarn
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:15:18 AM »

Just wondering if anyone could recommend the best value 12v solar panels?
I've seen an 80w monocrystalline panel for 219+20 delivery which seems pretty good.  Open circuit voltage is 21v
Ideally looking for something 80-130w  and 12v

Thanks
SteveH

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:29:28 AM »

To a greater or lesser degree you get what you pay for with PV... There are differing levels of technologies out their with differing efficiencies...

There have been independent studies in the US on Panel life & 25 years doesn't seem unreasonable for a quality make... also worth considering the longterm credentials of the supplier... A company who have been trading for longer are usually a better bet in the event of problems & worth at least 10-20% on the purchase price...

A half price PV that lasts a quarter of the life or produces a lot less power than the full price one isn't a bargin in my eyes...

have you tried Navitron.... whistlie

Preveli, South Crete.
rosebarn
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 12:48:33 PM »

Yep, we bought one from Navitron initially. Good panel. Pity it didn't come with any cables etc.
Ivan
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 01:39:41 PM »

If you buy the 110W panels, they come with cables and standard high voltage outdoor quick-fit connectors.
rosebarn
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 01:28:15 PM »

I just rang Navitron to order and the guy said the 110w panel doesn't come with cables!

Perhaps you should check exactly what you do have!

SteveH

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 01:36:39 PM »

Had a 110W panel delivered from Navitron last week & it came with cables and standard high voltage outdoor quick-fit connectors... I think it might be worth ringing back & asking them to double check...

Quality of the panel is very good, although I haven't had chance to mount it yet... Smiley

Preveli, South Crete.
martin

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 01:46:27 PM »

well, any that came without cables-  that'd render them totally useless then! - if Oakham have any useless ones like that lying about, I'll give them a good home decent burial........... whistlie

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
rosebarn
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 01:59:53 PM »

I know it is no big deal to wire them up, its just one extra hassle having to go and get cables/croc clips etc.
I've ordered from different company now instead.
Sorry Navitron, you lost a sale there
martin

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »

crocodile clips?.................. help horror

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
rosebarn
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 02:05:17 PM »

Panel to charge controller, charge controller to battery (with croc clips).

Why, whats the prob?
martin

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 02:12:11 PM »

crocodile clips are a mechanical (thank your lucky stars there's a swear filter).....and should be avoided like the plague! Lips Sealed
For any permanent installation, you should make up proper cables and connectors - if the battery(ies) have the typical "car" type round ones, get some appropriate terminals from your local motor factor (or even Fleabay), and wire appropriately. There's a lot of amps around a large battery, and amps can make big sparks (and very easily cause fires), so to use croc clips in such a situation is foolhardy in the extreme........apart from anything else, they seldom make a really good connection, you'll get "losses" by using them, and all you've got to have happen is for someone (or the cat) to knock the croc clip off, you've got a major fire on your hands............ wackoteapot
Where are the smelling salts? surrender
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 02:14:19 PM by martin » Logged

rosebarn
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 02:17:02 PM »

Even more important to include cables and connectors then!

I don't know why they dont. It is like buying a chainsaw and discovering the sodding thing doesn't come with a chain.
I'll just put it on my roof and look at it then, shall i?!

SteveH

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »

Is it just me...?

... or are you out to discredit Navitron...?

One person gave you incorrect information & now your "Off on one"...  wackoold

Your attitude sucks... There probably better off without you as a customer IMHO... whistlie

Preveli, South Crete.
martin

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 02:34:29 PM »

I was very tempted to add "it'd probably be safer", but thought better of it! Grin
I did happen to notice that someone using a remarkably similar name had been asking questions on  another forum, and getting some wince-makingly awful suggestions from some of the members there - ho hum! banghead

MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »

I always find it best to discuss my requirements prior to order, (Stating ads etc as to what it's supposed to come with v varients & glean info) otherwise it's likely to be a 1/2 done job that needs sorting (but seldom is) or a trip to a hardware store

...size of batteries must also come into play (& therefore connectors supplied or not, v needed,  compared to a basic entry level solar project, which is why it's always best to talk & get to know sellers & suppliers, once you get over the basic q&a much handier info may be gleaned (eg service depts)
If in doubt, get name of person you're talking to & get that info checked later, it's blooming hard to know & verify all the stock / components of anything especially if your product range is multiple.

In my old firm for instance 100,000 sq ft spares warehouse dating back 20 years (a lot of knowledge to maintain, & before PC's were widespread or digital images), I was leaving so spent a year laminating info & taking pictures on a new (then) 600 sony floppy disc early digital camera, little mistakes are jumped on by customers till they're mere microns thin!  Angry  often more so than big ones commited by senior management

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: