navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: solar clothes dryer  (Read 6451 times)
welshboy

« on: July 30, 2008, 01:18:04 PM »

Reading about solar food dryers gave me an idea about banishing the tumble dryer !
 the principle of a sloar food dryer can be found at http://www.i4at.org/surv/soldehyd.htm

Taking this a step further  and installing a navitron    http://www.navitron.org.uk/page.php?56
air heater as the heat source with a clothes cabinet above to dry the clothes in should work ok ?

Any views ?
martin

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 01:34:55 PM »

we've got the low-tech version - a clothes line! Grin
There is an even "greener" version that does away with clothes pegs - use  bit of coarsely- stranded rope, grasp it in two places and twist - shove  corner of the wet clothing into the gap between the strands, and release - a surprisingly secure way of doing it - the more the wind blows, the tighter it holds! Grin

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
guydewdney

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 01:35:22 PM »

or a bit of string?  stir

food needs to be dried quickly, or it goes off. My stinky pants are already off, and slow drying them or quick drying makes no difference. Air flow is the key.

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
Joules
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 01:38:37 PM »

You can also save on washing line by simple tying each bit of washing together then string out.

Joules
welshboy

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 01:47:24 PM »

The idea is to have something other than a tumble dryer (leccy) or clothes line- risk of showers ,gales when away from the house. Already have a clothes line but you need to watch it like a baby.
Richard Owen

Navitron PV Installer

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 02:42:10 PM »

Clothes airer in lean-to gets pressed into service when it's raining here.

Towel radiators too when there's a pressing need to dry things.

The laundry lady has an obsession with saving energy and considers tumble driers devil spawn.

44 Yingli 230Wp panels feeding into 2x Solar Edge SE5000 inverters.
20x 58mm SE, 20x 58mm SW, Solar Thermal feeding 320l thermal store.
10kW heat pump.
300W of Hydro Power.
Ivan
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 07:31:22 PM »

I have to fight the tumble drier. Personally I prefer line-dried clothes, which can be folded up straight from line without creases (ie no ironing). Apparently the tumble drier gets things nice and soft (according to my wife). I have argued that this is only due to movement of the fibres, and nothing to do with drying, and probably just as achieveable by hanging on the line, drying and then chuck your clothes in the tumbler for 10minutes without any heat. I'm not allowed to try it though.

One tumble drier session consumes around 1.5kWh - that's a lot of energy that could easily be replaced with some solar heat.
NickW

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 01:14:32 PM »

For inside drying I use a dehumidifier - ok it uses energy but then it produces loads of deionised water that I then use in the iron, car washer bottles, window cleaning garden

Ask Questions, look for evidence, think for yourself

Gold is the currency of Kings, Silver the Currency of Gentlemen. Barter is the Currency of Peasants, whilst DEBT is the currency of SLAVES
Shay

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 10:03:39 PM »

we've got the low-tech version - a clothes line! Grin
There is an even "greener" version that does away with clothes pegs - use  bit of coarsely- stranded rope, grasp it in two places and twist - shove  corner of the wet clothing into the gap between the strands, and release - a surprisingly secure way of doing it - the more the wind blows, the tighter it holds! Grin

That reminded me of scam some time back...

http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=16947
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: