navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TDC3-e new developments - Wookey, djh, wyleu et al. please read!!  (Read 54250 times)
wookey

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 02:54:44 PM »

OK that protocol is very helpful. So the simplest packet that should do anything is this:
0 0x47 magic
1 0xAA magic
2 0x00 flag bits (no CRC)
3 0x00 flag bits
4 0x00 protocol 0 (ID)
5 0x00 header data size
6 0x02 payload size -little endian, 2 bytes: 02,00
7 0x00
8 'v'  0x76 software version
9 '?'  0x3F

I sent that to the TDC with netcat (having faled to work out how to get telnet to send random hex):
cat versionpacket | nc -o log 92.3.22.110 10001
but I get no response.
nc works fine on port 9999 and shows the setup response info, so I'm beginning to wonder if that serial port connection is actually right?

More questions for sorel:
Do we expect the box to give out any sort of response when it gets an invalid packet?
Can they confirm that the above is a valid packet, and what response we can expect, in both packet and payload terms?

Once we've got some kind of reponse out of it we can knock up some software that understands the packet format and just shows/accepts the payload parts.

Wookey
Ivan
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »

I've forwarded your comments. Will post as soon as I get a reply.

Can you get to the Lantronix web interface, Wookey? According to the 'server settings' it gave, the http port is port 80.....but perhaps that's something different. Is there anything I can do from within my network to check the port for you?

If it's something simple, I can test it for you from within the network....but I'm not familiar with this kind of thing, unfortunately.
Ivan
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 03:10:55 PM »

I'm really shooting in the dark, but are any of the settings on this screen relevant? eg remote port; remote server?

* connection screen.jpg (62 KB, 724x586 - viewed 806 times.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 05:16:45 PM by Ivan » Logged
wookey

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 09:00:01 PM »

If I try to access the web interface it asks me for the username/password. I suspect I am talking to your router rather than the lantronix thing. So far as I can tell all the config is available on the port 9999 setup config screens anyway, so I don't think it matters much.

Have you got anywhere with the sorel TDC data logger software? If that won't talk to it then my chances from here are not great.

You've set the IP address so it ought to be talking to the right place. Does it have menu items for 'read version' or 'read protocols' or 'read LED status'? Anything to show that the box is actually talking to us.

I tried changing the connectmode to enable a respone character on connection (D0 instead of C0) but it still didn't send any data back.

Wookey
Ivan
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 11:17:40 PM »

The lantronix has a username and password to access the web interface too - I'll PM you the details (publishing it on a well-googled forum probably isn't the best security idea). So you may be at the Lantronix server.

Yes, the sorel logging software seems to work (screenshot on page 1 of this thread), but it seems to stop working if the computer goes to sleep
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:20:43 PM by Ivan » Logged
Ivan
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 12:27:39 AM »

Might be worth retrying sending the packet to my TDC3-e - I'd just tried the data logging program and it failed to work. So I reset the TDC3-e and it works fine again now.
wookey

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 01:16:26 AM »

aha - we are in business
the response to my version packet is
v=TDC
Asking it to enumerate the paramters got one packet for 'sensor0' then one more byte (the 'G' that starts each packet) then it got stuck.

Now it's not sending anything any more.

I can get to the web interface as well as the telnet one on 9999. Seems to be missing 'reset' as an option.

So, progress, but I seem to be managing to stop it responding from time to time.

Probably worth writing something to send/receive packets next. (Any volunteers - I really ought to be doing some other things this week)

Wookey
Ivan
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 02:01:34 AM »

Just checked - the data logger program can't receive either. I'll manually reset it (turn power off and on again), then I'm off to bed.

wyleu
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 08:33:27 AM »

There's all you need to access it there as far as I can see. It's not the all singing or dancing beast that most people will imagine and I would think it would probably require lots of local filtering to provide anything useful from a general community perspective, but this is a very positive step. I could hook in my stuff very quickly and seamlessly with a PC, which does add the additional load of a PC to the system but your probably committed to that for a while. You'll need something to store the output if you want graphing. The odds of a central server handling more than a few clients of this sort is pretty unlikely, and that's actually where I'm mucking around right now, but from a minute by minute perspective it's fantastic!

Ivan
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 12:56:33 PM »

I know so little that I'm not sure how much effort it is - is it possible for someone to write a short piece of code that would call the temperatures of my system from a webpage?

P.S. I don't even know what this is, but it's described as software for 'experts' playing with the Lantronix server built into the TDC3-e. Hmmm. That counts me out!

http://www.navitron.org.uk/download_category.php?id=17
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 02:04:31 PM by Ivan » Logged
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 02:25:31 PM »

I've just had a quick look at this. It describes itself as:

Overview
The DeviceInstaller is an all-in-one utility for detecting various Lantronix devices (device servers) on a network. You can view current device parameters and make more devices available for viewing.

Unfortunately the requirements to run it probably mean most others here won't be able to use it:

The following items are required to run DeviceInstaller:

1.  Windows 98SE/ME/NT4 SP6a/2000/2003 Server/XP.
    2.  Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1.
    3.  Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.1, or later.
    4.  30MB free hard drive space.

Volunteer moderator
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 04:44:31 PM »

This software appears to just be an alternative method to get to the option settings that are web accessible. It doesn't (and isn't intended to) work across a router or gateway but only on a purely local network.

Volunteer moderator
KenB

Energy Self Enlightenment

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 06:27:43 PM »

Gents,

This seems a very long way from the "Internet Toaster" that was hypothescised about 10 years ago   whistlie

Ivan's post (July 29, 2008, 03:10:55 PM) showing the Lantronix screen  and Common Options showing Telnet Mode and Connect Response might be worth exploring further.  What are the other options available?

AndyC - thanks for your "granny sucking" guide.  As a humble hardware engineer, I struggle a bit with networks and your explanation was concise and very understandable.

Ken
Ivan
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 07:26:25 PM »

Hi Ted,

I can access the webserver from Oakham 140miles away from the controller, albeit a little slow. I've just forwarded the port in my firewall settings within my router. I think the beauty of having an ethernet connection, is it can be accessed anywhere in the world, as long as it's routed correctly.

The problem is, at the moment, that's all I can do, and it isn't exciting for very long! Somehow we need to get the data out of the machine, then it would be really useful.

I tried using the datalogger software from Sorel at Oakham, but that doesn't seem to work over the internet.
sleepybubble

expect the unexpected, then its expected

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 10:44:03 PM »

Been busy for a day or two putting a new lintel in to a fireplace so not had much 'me' time in the evenings....

Ivan,

I can see your xport device using the lantronix device installer across the net from here but it is showing as being offline at the moment, its also failing to connect via telnet, is there a chance you could pm me the user ID and pass for the lantronix http console.

If you could put a copy of sorels 'own' datalogging software up in the download section that would proberbly of benifit too. I can have a play with making that work across the internet too.

regards,

Mark

;-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: