navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Start-O-Matic type controls?  (Read 1636 times)
merkland

« on: August 01, 2008, 10:48:23 AM »

Any one know of any start-o-matic type control system(simple and inexpensive) which could be used to automatically switch an inverter on whenever there is a requirement for power from the the inverter or off when no power is required?
I have the house lighting and a couple of light power circuits set up with a change-over switch so they can be run off mains or batteries(charged by PV and wind).
For a number of reasons I am not getting the most out of my alternative supply, the principal ones being forgetfulness and laziness.
The change over switch is at the consumer unit in the house, the inverter is beside the batteries in outbuildings, it can be a bit of a chore remembering that the inverter needs to be switched on/off whenever the changeover is switched between power sources - particularly when it is blowing a gale and the rain is lashing down!
merkland.

200w wind turbine grid tied, 1x175w PV grid tie or to batteries,
2x55w PV to batteries, 24vx440ah battery bank. 3.5Kw grid tie (14xSanyo 250w facing 160degrees at 80 degrees inclination, Aurora 3.6 inverter), 2xflat panel water heating (for over 30 years )
dhaslam

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 11:03:20 AM »

You obviously already have cables connecting the shed to the house so it shouldn't be too difficult to add an extra cable to a switch.    There are also wireless switches if it is too difficult.  Since you have to change over manually anyway a manual switch on the inverter would be appropriate.   You might want to use a multicore cable if you need to monitor battery levels etc.

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
merkland

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 04:56:45 PM »

Dhaslam,
We are obviously looking at things from slightly different angles!!
If I had wanted an entirely manual system I would have done what you said.
I want to be able to decide when to make use of the batteries without depleting them unnecessarily because I forget to switch off the inverter.
If my understanding is correct, The Lister Start-O-Matic  system allowed a house electrical system to be connected directly to a suitably sized diesel generator such that when an appliance or light was switched on the generator started and when everything was switched off the generator stopped.
If a similar system could be used to control the inverter then I could probably leave the lighting switched to battery power for long periods while only having to monitor the battery charge levels once a day.
merkland.

200w wind turbine grid tied, 1x175w PV grid tie or to batteries,
2x55w PV to batteries, 24vx440ah battery bank. 3.5Kw grid tie (14xSanyo 250w facing 160degrees at 80 degrees inclination, Aurora 3.6 inverter), 2xflat panel water heating (for over 30 years )
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: