navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2v batteries  (Read 16068 times)
KenB

Energy Self Enlightenment

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 08:25:51 PM »

List,

Telephone exchanges use large 2V cells with capacities of hundreds, if not thousands of Ah.

That might be a possible source of the exotic.

Ken
insolare

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »

My all time favourite film and Wolfgang Petersens best film by far. Absolutely fantastic. Strangely, its much better in German than English. 

Hey, have you got any hairs up your nose?
Why?
I've got some up my ass. Maybe we can tie them together.

Just brilliant. Grin
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 09:06:53 PM »

Perhaps i have hairs in my nose  Cool

But still it wouldnot do as  a  submarine battery

By the way  if you want to get rid of your hair problem  (ass)  , open the top of a folklift battery get naked and sit on it  Grin

billi

Strangely, its much better in German than English

very strange .....  i have the same feeling about Braveheart (was better in Scottish then in German )
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 09:11:02 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 10:26:40 PM »

My all time favourite film and Wolfgang Petersens best film by far. Absolutely fantastic. Strangely, its much better in German than English. 

Hey, have you got any hairs up your nose?
Why?
I've got some up my ass. Maybe we can tie them together.

Just brilliant.

I have to apologise insolare  i did get that wrong  Grin  so donot take my last post serious   because --- it took me a while to find out that  the hair in the ass are words from the film  -Das Boot- surrender

In German it would be -----Haare im Arsch-----

all the best

Billi

Me and wife cannot stopp laughing now ....  about the miss understanding
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 10:42:29 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
insolare

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 11:06:18 PM »

Grin Grin Grin My apologies. May be I should of explained that quote. I just know those lines off by heart and I sort of forget that others may not.  wackoold
I'd love to be in the position were someone was seriously sucking up to me and be able to use that phrase. What a put down.  Grin

Anyway must go..... early flight in the morning.... woohoo! Holidays!
phildartmoor

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 05:04:34 PM »

I haven't yet topped up the cells.   If I undo the plastic cap on the top of each cell - I cant see any liquid - only the plates!

RichardKB

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 08:49:31 PM »

Get them topped up quick then.  bike

Rich
Bill H

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 10:59:39 PM »

Phil,

Zounds !  top them up.....

NOW!!!!!!! IMMEDIATELY!!!!

and then tell us what is going on in a couple of weeks of charge/discharge.

You are/have risked trashing the lot.... (Ship spoiled for a ha'pence of tar, etc.)

regards

Bill

The only safe place for a fusion reactor is 93 million miles away.
phildartmoor

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 11:47:10 AM »

Hi Guys

The only reason I hadn't topped them up before was that when we last managed to get through to the guy who initially installed them, he said they were maintenance fee and didn't need anything.   However since then, I've been unable to contact him.   

I'm on my way out now for distilled water etc.. Just one final question.  When I top them up, do I fill them so I cannot see the plates anymore?

I checked the levels this morning pre-charge for each of the cells and they were
1.96     1.92
1.92     1.95
1.99     1.93
1.90     1.88
1.91     2.00
2.01     1.51

12 cells arranged in two banks of 6 x 2v cells.

The dud one was 1.51 which is the reason I guess why I cannot seem to charge the bank to the maximum.
When they are full they are supposed to be 2.20v  but the maximum I can charge the dud one to is 1.85

We have 3 solar panels and a rutland wind turbine as well as a generator.  Trouble is today is a grey day with no wind!

Thanks!

longstroke

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 12:23:45 PM »

As you say, top them up until there is enough to fully cover the plates.

Hopefully there will be someone on here who can look at your pics and give some advice regarding having your dud cell stripped and cleaned, or replaced.

phildartmoor

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 12:27:47 PM »

Thanks

I 've seen a few companies selling 2v cells. Only snag is I have no idea what the capacity of each cell is.

The only thing on the batteries are a 6 and then a code - EC15P115
They measure 56cm high, 19 cm wide and 8cm deep

RichardKB

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 01:25:52 PM »

Hi at a guess 115AH from the model number.

Rich
SteveH

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 01:37:15 PM »

Not an expert, but a few observations.

I would get them topped-up with distilled water to just above the plates & give them a charge to stir the electrolyte up... Then have a look at the cell voltages.

As it stands you may have very little electrolite in the one you consider dud & that is going to keep the voltage low. This may be all it needs to bring its capacity back up to an acceptable level... Next step would be to check the specific gravity of the electrolyte... As you have very little history for the batteries it would be worth investing in a battery hydrometer (Looks like a Turkey baster with a thermometer inside). Something like this:-

(from: http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/61792-battery-hydrometer-3228-p.asp Not recomending this model or company, just included for referance)

you can then see if you have the correct amount of acid in the cells. If you come back here with the figures I'm sure you could get more advice...

Seems like the chap who installed the system may be avoiding you... wonder why.  whistlie

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 01:40:54 PM by SteveH » Logged

Preveli, South Crete.
phildartmoor

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 01:55:13 PM »

Thanks for the advice.
I'll top the batteries up today and report back progress.
The chap that installed the batteries was good at the time but I think he's moved onto other things.
In fact everything he sold us, we have replaced - except these batteries!
But then we were complete off grid novices!   I've learnt alot about solar and wind installations over the last year but I must admit batteries are still the bane of my life.

Phil : )
northern installer

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 03:37:33 PM »

Phil,top up until the plates are nicely submerged,but leave plenty of room for expansion;charge gently 24 hours or so,let it rest an hour or two,then check voltages and s/g,top up again if necessary.Then give it a vigorous equalisation charge,rest,then check and top up again. You may find everything comes good after this,but note which cell was lazy. good luck!

"government scrappage scheme still available on Tardis trade ins (dont ask how we get around the deadline...)"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: