navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generators. Good makes, bad makes - what to look for  (Read 15495 times)
Fen Fellow

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2008, 08:13:59 PM »

Thanks Paul - that does look like a nice bit of kit. I wish I was rather better qualified to know what is, or isn't worth having! You know, from my own knowledge and experience.  I suppose that asking what it might be worth is rather courting an answer along the lines of "how useful is it to you?", which seems fair but if you have any suggestions I'd be very grateful. I have been looking at some prices of gennies that have gone over the last few weeks but most have been either way too small or stupidly big, or appear to be in need of attention or, at the very least, a rather more clued up owner than me.

That's not so very far away from me either - Boston - so that might be a runner. I'll try and do a bit more research tonight but if anyone is feeling generous and wants to hand out a "I wouldn't consider paying more than...£xxx for that" type comment it would be so very useful. As would any hints on things to look out for - if any.

Thanks ever so much for pointing that out Paul - very kind. I'll go off and scrutinise that auction a bit more now, and try to pick oup more snippets of info...

'Bye for now.
longstroke

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2008, 09:04:08 PM »

That looks like an excellent buy. Previously, quality generators have gone for a fortune on ebay as you pointed out before.
One bonus point to look at (which I always consider when trying to justify buying another engine etc) is that it is a proper quality machine, so even if you keep it and sell it in a few years you hopefully won't lose a great deal, so long as there isn't a buying frenzy (see the fleabay rant section on the forum!)

The trouble is it is difficult to put a price on something I'm not intending to buy as I tend to keep an eye on the prices of things that interest me. It could be worth looking to other sources like the stationary engine magazine etc if ebay doesn't work.

The sellers description and replies to questions do strike me as if he's selling plant as a sideline/business.

Good luck!   Wink
kristen

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2008, 09:32:57 PM »

"I wouldn't consider paying more than...£xxx for that"

I check eBay to see what previous buyers have been prepared to pay.  Don't know if this link will work (and you'll need to log in to eBay to see it):

http://completed.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__LISTER-GENERATOR_W0QQ_nkwZLISTERQ20GENERATORQQQ5ftrksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em283QQLHQ5fCompleteZ1QQ_flnZ1QQ_fromfsbZ0

if link does not work for you:

Search for LISTER GENERATOR (or whatever keywords work best)

In the left pane selected "Completed listings"

and see which ones are marked "Sold" / Price=green, and what the final price was.
Fen Fellow

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2008, 10:26:47 PM »

Thanks people - much appreciated.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: