navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Onan Generator Gas Conversion  (Read 7784 times)
roys

« on: August 25, 2008, 10:19:38 AM »

Hi Folks

I have an ex army 3.5kVA petrol Onan Generator(model 305COK.93CRV), what is involved in converting it to run on LPG, what are the costs and is it worth it?

Just as an afterthought do you know the origins of the word Onan? ironic they were taken over by Cummins!! laugh

Cheers Steve
martin

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 10:26:26 AM »

I believe it's Biblical.........http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/onanism, meaning, in the vernacular
" a right Jonathon Woss"  norfolk

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
roys

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 01:47:09 PM »

Nobody any ideas then, on LPG conversion on petrol genny.

Cheers Steve
mespilus

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 03:42:36 PM »

Honda do a kit for their smaller petrol generators.

Would one of those fit your generator?

Now in the HS2 blight zone
northern installer

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 03:46:47 PM »

machine mart have conversion kits for hondas ,commonly used on cement mixers,genis etc;try one of those;simplified,propane is only petrol vapour to an engine,you need a means of introducing to the carb(pipe in the right place) and an lp demand regulator to stop the gas flowing when not needed(in the kit)  and dont let it leak out(next stop outer space!)

"government scrappage scheme still available on Tardis trade ins (dont ask how we get around the deadline...)"
roys

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 09:25:11 AM »

Thanks NI for that.  Looked up Machine Mart 270 quid mmm will think about that one.  Maybe I will just run a SWA cable out to my new workshop rather than feed it from a genni.  I was trying to save doing an horrible and long cable run.  Ah well it had good tinker value.  Cheers Steve

northern installer

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 11:05:16 AM »

If you look around auto jumbles,there are sometimes ex bt pumps and generators,very often gas powered.If you find a worn out one,the round flat thing is the gas governer/demand valve,thats all you need really,fit an lp regulator on the cylinder,then gas governor,then a tube drilled into the carb at the right place(reduced pressure side of the venturi)
If its working correctly,gas will only flow if there is suction at the outlet.Best play with it at the end of the garden  though! sh*tfan
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 02:57:41 PM by northern installer » Logged

"government scrappage scheme still available on Tardis trade ins (dont ask how we get around the deadline...)"
roys

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 12:08:50 PM »

Hi Ni
So when you say drill a tube into the carb do you mean say a 6mm taper fitting drill and fitted under the butterfly valve roughly where the petrol inlet jet is?  Cheers Steve
northern installer

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 03:40:28 PM »

Steve,everyone;more or less;the important criteria is to examine the carb carefully,and ascertain where the low pressure point will be,if not sure, you could always make a venturi to fit between carb and manifold,and drill your 6 mm pipe in there;another way is to cut away half the gas pipe where it is inside the  carb,so it is shrouded from the incoming flow of air,thus creating a venturi of sorts.They are all fairly basic on stationary engines,so quite an easy conversion I think,it just needs enough suck to activate the demand valve(there is a button on top to prime it for starting) have fun!(and put some sticky tape over your eyebrows before trying to start engine)

I should add that this is just from looking at my ex bt honda gas engine,and there doesnt seem to be any form of jet in the gas injector,but it is quite a small bore (unless the jet dropped out ages ago!) just put a clamp on the rubber tube outside the carb if it runs too rich and adjust to suit
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:53:29 PM by northern installer » Logged

roys

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 03:59:47 AM »

Thanks NI, now where did I put my Burn Freeze spray.
Fun Ahead
Cheers Steve
Ivan
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 01:31:45 AM »

I've got a brand new gas regulator made by Lovato for small engines - 60 if you want it. It runs from LPG vapour rather than liquid, so doesn't need heating. Not sure what the maximum power it will handle. I've converted a B&S 2kW generator to run on LPG with this type of regulator without any problems. It runs very well with two exceptions 1)it's a sod to start on LPG with a hand-pull engine start system (due to safety vacuum system) - I start on petrol and then flick over onto gas. It runs very rich on both fuels until float chamber empties (30sec or so), and then runs on gas fine. On an electric start, it would work fine 2)mixture seems to drift a little, so requires occasional adjusting. I do this by ear, and seems to work ok for me.

I just use a 6mm copper pipe as a gas inlet into the base of the air filter. I'm sure a mini-mixer would be better, but I couldn't get one for my engine. It might solve the problems detailed above, too!
northern installer

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 10:00:31 PM »

Roys,look on ebay,no: 320300041255;might be just the item you are looking for!  Wink

dodgy rog

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 10:39:54 PM »

i belive edge technology do good honda conversions with auto start modules for connection to inverter chargers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: