navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof mounted Ampairs?  (Read 2624 times)
martin

« on: September 07, 2006, 11:39:48 PM »

shurely shome mishtake?HuhHuh? Tongue
http://www.warwickwindtrials.org.uk/resources/Ampair_8pp+brochure.pdf

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Ivan
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 01:44:53 AM »

well I'd hate to be left behind all the other manufacturers!
(please note that we did recommend AGAINST this installation, but at the end of the day it is up to the customer to decide....!)
And yes, that really is a 1kW , 3m diameter wind turbine mounted on a 6m tower attached to the gable end!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 01:46:59 AM by Ivan » Logged
chaso

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 12:04:21 PM »

What would really be good is to know how well it works. I.E. how much vibration is there in the house, how much is it being effected by the roof air flow and the biggest thing is how much wait is on the side of that wall. Shocked

If this turbine was monitored then it could give everyone very usefull information to go by.
KenB

Energy Self Enlightenment

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 12:28:48 PM »

Guys,

Brickwork really does not like vibration.

It concerns me that some companies are promoting roof and chimney mounted turbines.   

A chimney stack is really only designed to support itself and not the wind loadings and vibration that would likely present with a wind turbine.

A colleague of mine has a DIY turbine mounted on his chimney. In strong wind gusts you can hear and feel it thrashing around.

Ken

Joules
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 03:21:06 PM »

Ivan, you will keep us posted on that gable end during the next big storm   Shocked

What they spent on that rig would have bought a very nice tower I suspect.

Joules

welshphil

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 11:25:08 AM »

I have read with interest the comments regarding roof-mounted turbines and the companies behind them, and I completely agree that any roof-mounted turbine is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I especially take note that many of you think that the 'ethics' behind such roof-mount companies are poor and are driven by slimy salesmen and venture capitalists etc. I completely agree also.

However I have to point out that the design for the cheap Chinese imported turbines (available from this website) was STOLEN from Bergey Windpower in the US. On top of this, they are manufactured in a country that is fast becoming one of the worlds largest source of greenhouse gases and other pollution. On top of this, they are probably manufactured in an unsafe sweatshop by a workforce that is probably paid something in the region of 1 penny per day.

These ethics are hardly honourable by any stretch of the imagination.

Phil
martin

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 01:40:50 PM »

I haven't a clue as to the provenance of the designs of the turbines, and certainly China is an enigma!
They are at present desperately trying to modernise, and along the way things that we are very used to, like a living wage, and safe conditions are being elbowed aside in pursuit of wealth. If you pick up almost ANYTHING that's manufactured these days, hunt hard enough you'll find the "Made in PRC" sticker - all the big names in electronics onwards! Roll Eyes
So, we are faced with a system that means nearly everything is made there - we could turn our backs on them and refuse to trade, but I doubt we as a country have enough "clout" to have any effect. My attitude is that we can't deny the Chinese the right to modernise - trading with them means that we should establish friendly relations, and be in a better position to help influence them for the better. (Tibet for a kick off!) Undecided
Many of the turbines available from "western" manufacturers are either made in China, or have many parts made in China - same "sweatshops" - just that it's western businessmen making the profits!
SO, taking a pragmatic view, I'd sooner buy Chinese goods "honestly" from Ivan, rather than try to pretend they are from somewhere else Grin
As to "morality" in business - need I mention a few companies........Microsoft, Nestle,all the GM companies, all the pharmaceutical companies.............. Wink
ps, I note that some of Bergey's production is based in China! Grin

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
welshphil

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 02:38:09 PM »

I understand where you are coming from on this Martin, but no matter how you justify buying these from china, its still a stolen design (and a poor copy at that).

Bergey moved some of the XL1 production to China a few years ago, but they kept key production areas in the states. As soon as they did this, the quality of the XL1 dropped and a short while later the clones started to appear. I heard rumours at expo's this year that Bergey are now starting to take action. Most of the time served wrenches I spoke to recently used the phrase pennywise and poundfoolish, when a couple of years previously they had been so excited that somebody was finally producing some very low cost turbines. Caveat Emptor I guess.

On a seperate issue, what is the warranty on a 200w navitron?

Phil
Alan
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 09:03:52 PM »

Hello Ladies / Gents
With regard to the Navitron 1 K.W. turbine in roof mounted positions.
Beware of weld failure on the generator to pole mounting.
If the generator is mounted on a vertical guyed pole the tail fin should
only rotate out of the wind in high wind conditions.
If it starts to rotate out of the wind in light wind speeds suspect that
both welds have cracked on the turbine bearing to pole mounting boss.
Be aware when lowering the turbine. The turbine will fall off with only
the cable trying to slow it down before it falls.
The bearing to body size is much greater on the bigger turbines with the
second bearing mounted inside towards the top. Much better design.
The tail fin damper rubbers wear away quite quickly. The increase in
noise is very noticable when they go. The bigger turbines can be supplied
in a tail less version. Much better design, but the back lash in the position
gear box is not good, will wear quickly with no means of adjusting the
worm wheel clearance.

Regards

Alan.

P.S. I Have never thought of mounting any turbine on a house
and would never Do so
ecogeorge
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 11:08:47 PM »

Reading the Ampair pages what G83 inverter are they using for .6kw ?
Any one know Huh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: