navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: nursing batteries back to life  (Read 2760 times)
dodgy rog

« on: September 20, 2008, 12:57:22 PM »

hello please can someone explain how to nurse if possible my two x 24V 240ah forklift batteries back to life, i have had them for about 6months doing nothing not connected to any thing, i know this is bad as they were also secondhand. i have now 960w aray 12xbp 80w, mx60 and vfx3024e also 4.5kw lpg genni, what is my best way forward with these batteries?
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 02:27:27 PM »

Rog

what is the voltage reading ? if you use a multimeter?

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
johnrae

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 04:16:22 PM »

Are they lead-acid or lead-alkaline batteries.
First thing you need to do is to stop doing nothing - get a charger onto them to stop any self-discharge that may be ongoing.
If lead-acid and they are "flat" and have been for some time then its a surgeon, not a nurse they'll be needing.  The plates will be sulphated which will be a bu**er to remove.  Not impossible but not that easy.
If however they were fully charged when you got them then a reasonable charge rate of about  C/20 ie about 20 amps into each of them won't do them anything but good.

If they're of an alkaline construction then you should have no worries - just get the charger working.

Jack
dodgy rog

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 07:42:51 PM »

hi yeh took reading earlier first batterie 16.8 v second 21.7v, is that bad?
martin

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 09:01:40 PM »

First one dreadful, second one, not that far removed from dreadful! - get them charging by whatever means - and try to get them up to 30 volts plus, and let them have a good "bubble" for an hour or two to try to shift the sulphation! Wink

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
dodgy rog

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 10:27:39 PM »

thanks, iihave found another batterie perhaps more likely to be good, same thing 24V 450_500ah forklift type, only this reads 24.1 v and its been doing nothing for the same amount of time as the first two?  so i will try to get this one charging, i am waiting for new genni arivving next week i hope, then i guess i can use the inv:charger to charge it
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 10:38:10 PM »

sounds good  still you can wire two 12 volt PV panel to a 24 volt and charge the old battery ...well watch it with the multimeter  Grin

Billi
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 08:07:07 AM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: