navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glycerin Disposal  (Read 8095 times)
Mickey

« on: November 04, 2006, 05:37:13 PM »

A friend is producing high quality Bio Diesel from WVO but the problem is disposing of the Glycerin which is a by product of refining process.    Apparently if it is simply burnt it produces dangerous gases and may be illegal?    The waste in not pure glycerin as it contains other resides and filtrates from the original WVO.

I was wondering if any Forum member(s) has a similar problem but found a practicable solution?     Ideally if it could be used to heat water or produce electricity then that would help a great deal in reducing the cost of WVO refining

Thanks   Mickey
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 06:32:00 PM by Mickey » Logged
Ivan
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 12:52:22 AM »

I don't know anything about the legalities of burning glycerine or the emissions (as a biochemical, I can't think that there would be anything nasty in it) but I have heard that it works well as a fuel for solid fuel stoves, by soaking it into sawdust, and forming rough 'logs' out of the mixture. It has high calorific value, so it works well.

Alternatively, it can be disposed of by adding to the slurry entering a biogas digester, thus releasing energy in the form of biogas (methane).

Ivan
jncg

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 11:53:22 AM »

I've not heard about glycerin/ sawdust logs for burning though the idea could be good if they're controllable and don't leave deposits in the fire/ stove/ chimney.

I can vouch for the effectiveness of glycerin in an anearobic digester though as I've been trialling this recently.  If you have a source of suitable organic material to digest and a regular supply of glyc. you could reasonably offset some of your biodiesel production costs.  This is more widely done in Germany for example where some farmers grow energy crops either for oil recovery for biodiesel production or for gas production through a digester.  In some cases, both processes happen on the same farm making best use of the resoures and minimising transport costs.  In more enlightened countries, such energy producers are properly rewarded for their efforts, as such it is a growing industry there.  Not so in this county.  Yet.

Because of the minimal demand for 'dirty' glyc as produced by most biodiesel plants, it doesn't really seem to have a value at the moment.  As such, it seems to be offered free for uplift locally though the costs of transport can knock it's value on the head for an anaerobic digester owner if quantities are small or distances great.

Where in the country are you?
Mickey

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 10:00:29 PM »

Thanks Ivan & jncq - I live on the South Coast of England Nr Portsmouth.  An ideal solution would be a furnace to burn the waste and produce hot water.  Also if some method could be devised, as well, to generate electricity then that would be fantastic.  HW & Electric are the two main expenses to bio production.

Mickey

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: