navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery advice  (Read 5448 times)
Adam

« on: November 18, 2008, 08:01:25 PM »

Hi, i have a 48v battery bank of 24 2v forklift cells, battery is working fine, charges up to 54-55v and keeps it's charge well with plenty of capacity.

Checked voltage on the cells today and most were around 2.13 apart from two cells which are 1.87 and 1.92 have equlized the battery every couple of weeks at 60v

What should i do? Huh
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 08:04:03 PM »

Adam

how much AH is your battery ? Just to find out if its worth to replace the two cells

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Adam

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »

480ah

That was a fast reply Billi Wink
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 08:26:35 PM »

Sure battery was full  Grin

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
SteveH

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 08:30:30 PM »

480ah

Billi is a Genie... & you used the magic words Adam...

"Forklift battries".....

Still think "Ala-Kazam" is a better magic word... Undecided

Preveli, South Crete.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 08:48:53 PM »

illi is a Genie... & you used the magic words Adam...

"Forklift battries".....

Sure and as a child i drank too much of that battery acid  wackoold

Not genius enough to tell you if  two replacement cells would work and if its adviceable to risk
I only found a 465 AH 24 volt (12 cells) 3 years old one  on ebay 15 hours left  current bid 56 euro

Some recondition cells 

I guess two new cells wil be about 200 euro (160 pounds? each)

Others here drank more acid so hopefully will comment

Billi

Adam

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 08:54:36 PM »

i should have another 24 cells by the end of the week i allready have 14 spare all seem ok is it worth sacrificing my second battery bank for a couple of cells Huh
Billy
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 08:57:18 PM »

is it just the electrolyte, and could it just be changed (specific gravity?), people to do it are getting few and far between.  Or could you give the dud ones a really good charge on their own to chivvy them up a bit,

what think ye billi

Billy

Grin Grin Grin
Adam

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 09:04:27 PM »

I know the specific gravity is something to do with measureing the acid, could you please give me some advice surrender

I was thinking of giveing the low ones a good charge independantly anyone have an idea of making a 2v charger bike

All the connection's are welded banghead 
Billy
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 09:23:13 PM »

Adam, hi,

used to do acid and batteries when I was an apprentice.  Wouldn't be allowed now.  Specific gravity and a hydrometer is used to measure the state of charge at a certain temperature.  But if the concentration of the acid is not right in the first place, ie been spilt, topping up with water will not make it right.  It is amazing how a dud cell will pull down a good bank and not allow it to charge up properly as well.

Alas I have not a clue on 2v chargers, but I'm sure someone will.

When you say welded?Huh?

Billly

Grin Grin Grin
Adam

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 09:57:43 PM »

The terminals are welded not the screw type and will have to be cut to remove a cell.

I will get a hydrometer and check, there is one cell split/damaged i have not got it connected and never charged it yet it is reading over 2v, the split goes 10" down from the top and the top is damaged was hoping ot repair it.

I have 3, 5 watt 12v solar panels could i connect one or more panels to a cell or would i damage a panel Roll Eyes I know wouldn't be powerfull enough to damage the cell but may be enough to top the cell up Huh
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 11:07:06 PM »

equlized the battery every couple of weeks at 60v

from your first post .....

I wounder if 60 volt is enough  i do mine (24V)  at 32 volts equlizing charge   ---- can you hear it boiling ?

Might be wrong   Tongue   Anyhow 30 volts are my normal charge limit in the momant at 10 temp

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/257/DocServe.aspx

Isnt the equlizing voltage 2.6-2.7 volt per cell i wonder ?

Billi
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:11:49 PM by billi » Logged

northern installer

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »

Adam,you can make a simple 2 volt charger,just get a high wattage,low ohms rheostat,the slider type often seen in goverment surplus stores,put in series with an ammeter and a 6 volt charger,adjust rheostat to suit.

"government scrappage scheme still available on Tardis trade ins (dont ask how we get around the deadline...)"
Adam

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 10:39:09 AM »

Hi, i have allredy made one using an old 1kw heater element and a 12v charger (don't have a 6v Roll Eyes), will post a pic tonight

Thanks Grin
Adam

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 08:11:37 PM »

Found an new-old heating element from a electric fire and tested it on my forklift Grin

Produced about 3 amps charging power from an 12v charger (all i have Roll Eyes) i doubled this up with another crocodile clip and a piece of wire to approx 6 amp.

At about 3 o'clock i doubled it up again to gain 12 amp (lots of croc clips  Grin), still on now will switch off before i go to bed, the cell is taking all charge and the voltage is rising very slowly, not sure if it's good or bad Roll Eyes but not up to the level of the other cells yet. I expect the rheostat to take a few amps.

Transmitted power via jump leads, don't fancy fiddlein with a rheostat ontop of a set of brewing cells Wink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: