navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery advice  (Read 5255 times)
Adam

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 07:00:53 PM »

Cell not charging much, think most of my power was wasted on the rheostat Roll Eyes

This afternoon i had a change of plan instead of reducing the chargers output i reduced the input buy connecting it to a 110v site transformer with a small adapter, the charger is a large automotive type with 4 settings low, high, boost & start, with the charger connected directly to the cell i can get a healthy 12amps into the cell on boost.

The voltage on the cell tonight is 2.13 all the good cells are 2.20 so getting there but it's taking a long time  Roll Eyes

Thinking about it, 12amps @ 2v is not alot of power Huh

Adam

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 11:49:49 AM »

When is a cell knackered?

After charging the cell a 2 days ago for 12 hours at 12amps the voltage of this cell is 0.08 - 0.10 lower than the other's, is it knackered?

Even with a week of no wind and no current draw on the battery the overall votlage of the battery dosen't fall.
northern installer

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »

Adam,the amps as shown will be the charging amps its the excess wattage from your 12 volt supply that is being dissipated in the rheostat;I think you have given this battery every chance,looks like its time to replace it Sad

"government scrappage scheme still available on Tardis trade ins (dont ask how we get around the deadline...)"
Adam

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 09:52:16 PM »

I managed to get rid of the rheostat (see post above Wink)

I gave it a good charge at 12 amps, and voltage has dropped again as you said i have given it every chance possible luckly i have 14 spare cells think most are good, was going to make a second battery but i think it's best to use the cells to keep one battery good.

When i get a chance i will get them swapped over.

I have had no wind for 3-4 days, not used the battery and the overall battery voltage has not budged, yet when i had my leisure batterys the voltage would drop day by day even when they were only 12month's old.
Adam

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 07:15:25 PM »

Got 2 faulty cells swapped over tonight in the dark, used some squashed 15mm copper pipe to join them together, drilled a 5.5mm hole into the lead and a m6 bolt screws in nicely Wink Still one other cell 0.08v lower than the rest, not too worried but will keep an eye on it, got 12 spare cells thou Grin.

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 07:36:40 PM »

Adam

looks  like a smallish  leisure  battery you have their and easy to lift by two men  Grin

Heavy Christmas

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Adam

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 08:06:32 PM »

Grin
I cheated! used my forklift to lift them out  Wink
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: