navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid tie cost & advice  (Read 5626 times)
Adam

« on: November 26, 2008, 08:12:41 AM »

Hi, at our farm we have an excellent site for a large wind turbine, over the last 3 years i have gained lots of experence from my own turbine and this forum so i am now tasting the water of the 6kw+ turbines for this site.

We are in the Northumberland national park and i have contacted our national park authority about this, they are not only in favour they are offering grants for business, i did ask if i needed to be an aproved installer to claim the grant and they didn't think so but the turbine would have to be a good quality unit.

The cable run would be approx 200m.

I have the grant application form so now i need to sort some figures and work out what it will cost, It would look good on the grant application form if i was useing a resonably localy made turbine so i contacted Proven 2 weeks ago through their website - no reply  Angry i don't want to chase them, they have a product to sell so they should chase me!

So i need=

1. Costs, i can work out most of them myself but any input would be appricated.
2. 6kw + turbine manufactures,

guydewdney

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 08:31:53 AM »

grid tie inverter for 6K is 3000 as near as dammit.

Trench - free (I assume you have a tractor...)

Cable - look it up on www.TLC.co.uk - there are various mentions of cable calculators. You have two options - turbine, long cable, inverter, mains - which works if the turbine is high voltage (200 - 600 volts) - or turbine, inverter, long cable, mains which is better if the turbine is low (48v or less) voltage.

Personally, I think the former is better for grid tie as there are less line losses, and less inverter losses (its easier to go from 300vDC to 230v AC than it is from 12v DC to 230V AC)

As to turbine - 'proven' seems to be a well respected 'tough' turbine. Not the best performace, but bomb proof. They might be OTT for you - as I assume its not that stormy where you are?

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:09:07 AM »

Probably pointless to try Proven direct these days. You need to contact one of their local (to you) installers.

Try:

Turbine Services
Cockermouth, CA13 9TL
01900 85616
http://www.turbineservices.co.uk/

or

Sundog
Penrith, CA11 0LF
017684 82282
http://www.sundog-energy.co.uk/

Volunteer moderator
Adam

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 06:17:43 PM »

Cheers Ted, that's just what i'm looking for Wink Will contact them tomorrow.

The site is very exposed with no obstruction's and is ontop of a hill approx 1200ft, it need's a strong "fit & forget" turbine and it will be a high voltage unit.

I know it will cost, but i'm looking at it as an investment and hoping for some grant, and possably some help from our landlord as they seem very enthusiastic.
Adam

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 10:12:20 PM »

Contacted the installers, great advice, estimated price is exactly what i expected (thats me doing all the groundworks)

Forgot to ask Roll Eyes.....What protects the turbine when the mains go's off, if the turbine is running where does the power go when the inverter disconnect's it?
Fiat

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 06:40:29 AM »

Hi I have been advised to put in a 9kw dump load braking resistor 16 ohm on a 5kw turbine Frank
Adam

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 08:40:26 PM »

Thought so, so there must be some sort of controller?

Do you have a dump load & controller on your Proven grid tie Ted?
Adam

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 08:10:54 PM »

Pic's of proposed wind turbine site Grin

West, (did not notice the dog when i took the pic Roll Eyes)

North

East

South

Site is 410 meters away from house, quite a run for a cable
Ivan
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 12:58:27 AM »

I had to look twice!

Looks like the dog is taking care of the dump load.
Billy
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 07:18:02 AM »

Oh, good, very good

Grin Grin Grin
kristen

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 09:08:41 AM »

"I had to look twice!"

Probably best not to admit it then ... Cheesy
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 09:40:21 AM »

Looks like the dog is taking care of the dump load

Looks like a 2 way dump  Grin

But Adam that site looks good for wind  is it in ther reagion of 6 m/s -7 anual windspeed ?

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Adam

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:23:37 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

I have taken no record but i have been told by an installer that the windspeed for my area is 6.5m/s and i'm to expect 10,000 - 12,000 kwh's per year Grin which seems very high.

There has been proposals for 2 large wind farms to the east and west of us, one of which has test masts and test hole's, so i expect we do have a good wind speed.

I'm still working my way through the paperwork for the grant Roll Eyes  next - planning bike
Adam

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 07:53:59 PM »

I have planning  Grin Grin Grin
Billy
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »

for the windmill or the methane recovery from the dog poo?

nice one, well done.

Billy

Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: