navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid tie cost & advice  (Read 5617 times)
Adam

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 09:20:02 PM »

Hi, i have a dilemma  Roll Eyes

One of the possible installers i may be using thinks there will be little benefit useing the 15m tower over the 9m one, he was explaining as the wind hit's and travels up the hill it condenses and speeds up, thinking that the 15m tower may miss this pocket of condensed air and reduced output over the 9m.
He is very experenced and i value his advice.

What do you think?
Billy
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 09:30:27 PM »

A,

Unless you have data collectors at intervals on a big mast you will never know for certain.  There may be models for wind flow over hills of certain gradients that say the wind hugs the contour but higher up it stalls (normally after the crest).  Who is to say without the data?  I don't know but perhaps swap "condense" for "compress" but don't forget that the lower the wind the more drag/turbulence it gets from the land mass.

In theory the higher you go the better the wind speed as far as I know.

Billy

Grin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: