navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shocked but glad to be in Britain.  (Read 1058 times)
Amy

Karma Queen !

« on: November 27, 2008, 11:57:29 AM »

I used to be a sales surveyor for a national insulation company and during that time i saw some disgusting houses.

On three occasions i was physically sick ( vomit ) when confronted with the stench and mess in homes.  Its alarming to see how some people can live and last evening was no different.
I went with a friend to price a renovation project at a 3 bed semi. The chap, (non UK origin) is a mentl health opperative and wants to set up a hostel type halfway home for patients.

The house has untill recently been rented out and is in a gut churning state. The back kitchen wall has been knocked out and a poly carbonate leanto with 4" brick wall/ no DPM added on.
The kitchen is wet and freezing with just one type 11 600x600 rad. Work surface is bare wood and cooker wont pass inspection
The bathroom is disgusting, running damp, no ventilation, black mould, light need replacing,tiles coming off etc. I wont mention the rest. vomit2

Living room gas fire has no hearth, blown vinyl paper on ceiling.
Front bedroom has gas fire.

Ive tried to outline some of the basic legal requirments needed for a HMO (front room being a 4th bed) housing people who are vulnerable and in care.

Mains linked fire alarm, emergency lighting, fire doors, lower opening window lights, thermostatic mixer valve to boiler outlet/bathroom taps. Remove gas fires and blown vinyl paper. hand rail on stairway
Im not expert and im sure theres a lot more fine detail i dont know about.

The guy says he wants to go and get two battery smokes from b&q, one for each floor. Re paint existing doors, new lino in kitchen, paint ceiling, etc. No need to spend more than a few hundred quid he thinks.

Ive tried to tell him he wont get change of use from council, he wont get insurance as he needs fire, gas and electric certs and social servs/NHS wont approve use either.

He realy cant see the need and burocracy is mad.

So, if your fed up with all thats going on around us at the moment, be greatful we live in the UK where good things do happen and we have a quality of life many countries dont even notice, let alone understand

Thank God for Charles Darwin. Another voice of sanity in this God forsaken world.
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: