navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a b useful 1/2 inch copper rounding tool  (Read 4284 times)
Aussie

« on: December 21, 2008, 08:01:32 AM »

Hi all
This is a tool I made from a good quality pair of old adjustable mole grips
With addition of a 1/2 inch smooth steel bush welded on then split after.

Maybe its around in UK? Not seen here in Australia .

Was created after seeing a larger pipe version on WWW

Is bloody great for working with soft copper pipe that gets out of round.
Cost to me was free  ie old grips free bush I lathed up free and welding free by me

To get a machine shop to do it maybe 20 + bucks?
The best copper tool you will ever use in your life.

Have seen a plumber friend do similar with a shifting spanner closed up to 1'2 inch gap and spun around but this works way better.
Resurrects wobbly pipe to a degree and gets pipe round for sliding fittings etc over.
Plus is great to hold copper in awkward places for bending, thread locking up etc
Excellent for close tank work aroung HW cylinders..

In UK it may be common. Probably been made a million times in past .
Not rocket science, but just not available in shops here.

Nick Australia

* PLIER2.JPG (24.08 KB, 341x200 - viewed 887 times.)

* PLIER1.JPG (25.07 KB, 318x288 - viewed 851 times.)
Aussie

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 08:17:58 AM »

anyone else have a good tool ideas for working with
copper , sheetmatal around solar tanks etc?

I'm a toolmaker by trade and have done  mods for similar uses over years and have  accumulated
useful time saving tools in my kit over the years..

Basic tool ideas can be some of the most useful time savers from my experience..

Nick from Aussie again
have a good xmas
Richard Owen

Navitron PV Installer

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 10:55:13 AM »

Nice tool.

Have an applaud

44 Yingli 230Wp panels feeding into 2x Solar Edge SE5000 inverters.
20x 58mm SE, 20x 58mm SW, Solar Thermal feeding 320l thermal store.
10kW heat pump.
300W of Hydro Power.
camillitech

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 03:28:03 PM »

Bdooly good idea mate,

Think I'll make up something similar for gripping wire ropes and hydraulic hoses whilst cutting them on site.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Ivan
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 12:18:34 AM »

Nice one! I haven't seen anything like it in the uk.
Here's a few tool ideas:

Sump Plug tool
I always seem to lose my sump plug tool when I drain my car oil, so usually make one up using a bench grinder. the best one I made was from a bicycle crank (very hard material) but I've made them out of all sorts of things including allen keys. Simply grind into a rough pentagon/hexagon or whatever shape the sump plug is.

Circle cutter
If you ever need to cut out circles of  soft material (in my case, I needed to cut out felt circles): Use s piece of copper pipe, or better still a pipe fitting of appropriate size. Again, using a bench grinder, taper the outer edge to the inner edge to create a sharp point. Cut felt by placing felt on a block of softwood. Hit die with hammer to cut circle. Repeat until blunt (not long, when using copper!). You would be better using steel, but the nice thing about copper, is that a variety of sizes are usually close to hand.

Rotating sanding drum for woodlathe.
Some oil filters are the same thread as the shaft on cheap woodlathes. So for a rotating sanding drum, simply find an oil filter of the correct thread, Glue ali oxide paper or similar to outer surface of oil filter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: