navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: running a 240v circulating pump via 12v/ invertor /solar backup  (Read 5897 times)
Aussie

« on: December 21, 2008, 09:43:13 AM »

Hello all
Am new to this forum.
Lots of useful ideas

Am looking to set up a solar panel/ battery backup/ invertor
so have an alternate pump circuit running if power drops off.
( common in my area)

ie so my 240v mains power pump has a switch to sense a 240v mains power loss

that diverts to a power source supplied by a solar panel/ battery/invertor/
 ie 240v converted from 12v.

Am an amateur tinkerer electrician so happy to source parts and get a sparkie set to things up if need be.
Maybe someone has similar in operation ,or knows a reference on the forum or www?
Or a pic or circuit description etc...

Nick Australia
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 10:22:54 AM »

Hi nick

My well pump is driven by an inverter and pv and battery

Depending on power needs  of your pump you need quite a big inverter that could cope with the start up power of the pump (  about 7 times as high  as the normal power consumption of your pump) 
Sure good inverters can cope with that  but still i reckon you need a 3 kw inverter  with a 1 kw pump or so

If you go that route i would prefer 24 volt or 48 volt DC system

Search for Stefend here  he is close to a new pump setup

Can you not store water for powercuts and then just use a solar pump direct ?

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Aussie

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 11:29:20 AM »

thanks for feedback

i only wish to drive the solar panel reticulation 240v pump.

my one is a basic 240v 3 speed unit

speed 1          1450rpm    46 watt
         2          1900         67
         3          2200         93

-----------------------------------

low end power demand I think..?

Is a backup option for summer here to reduce chance of steam at top of manifold if pump stops for a while.
Nick Oz
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:32:38 AM by Aussie » Logged
David

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 04:03:37 PM »

I would be tempted to use the solar setup to power the pump, with the (unreliable) mains used as a backup. The mains could be used as a standby means of charging the batteries, though the controls would need to be more sophisticated than just sensing solar failure. Perhaps monitoring battery voltage when there was no solar input would be the way to do it.

It might even be that large battery capacity is unnecessary. The controls may or may not need to run day and night, but they could be supplied by a relatively small battery overnight. When its sunny there should be output from a solar cell which could power the pump, power the controls and a little current to charge the battery.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 04:34:16 PM »

Sorry Nick ( didnot read the header right)  my fault.... thought you talk about big pump  Tongue

Billi

Ps:  why not get a direct PV (solar) circulation  pump without inverter and batteries  to run your solar thermal ?

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Mark Fisk

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 06:46:21 PM »

I would use a computer UPS, (Uninterruptible Power Supply), with the possibility of replacing the existing battery with a larger capacity battery than normally fitted if it will have to power the pump for extended periods? This would allow the pump to operate on mains when available and give an automatic transfer when it failed.
Ivan
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 01:04:13 AM »

I'd recommend doing the switching on the DC side, so that when everything is working, you aren't unnecessarily drawing standby power. For example, the ups idea would work, but check the standby power they consume-it's often as much as 150watts!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: