navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which is best?  (Read 1994 times)
Ivan
« on: December 22, 2008, 01:10:25 AM »

I've got some cheap and nasty cordless phones in the house (phillips or Sony, I think). Looks to me like they trickle charge the batteries continuously regardless of state of charge, and they fail quite soon presumably due to being overcharged. They also have wall-wart transforrmer power supplies, rather than switch-mode, so each wastes 4W continuously.

As a result, I only use two chargers, and once every day or two., I will swap the charging phones for the others, to keep them replemished.

The batteries are NiMH. The question is - is it better for the batteries to be deep-discharged on a one-two day basis, or is it better for them to sit in chargers being overcharged?
Antman
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 07:55:30 AM »

I used to notice the same problem. Always try to buy portable phones that take AA size cells...

I then change them to high capacity cells. These can tolerate overcharge much better and I just leave the phones on the cradles when not in use - mainly because I have a habit of forgetting to put them back -  bleep....bleep....bleep  Grin

Also the base station has to be 'on' permanently anyway, so the alternative is to rotate the handset to be charged. Just remember that with higher capacity cells, they need to be on the charger for 24 hours or so to fully charge....

Also worthy of note is that I now buy Vapextech NimH cells - not allowed to mention where from now so I won't - but the clue is there Lips Sealed
These are claimed to hold charge for months without self-discharge - I was sceptical, tried some on my did camera and they work! No more charging every month to make sure I can take more than two pictures at a time! And at around 5.45 for 4 including postage they are well worth it. I now also use flight packs for my models from the same guy. Don't know how he does it for the money but as well as being cheap they save a lot of extra/intermediate charging - which in the long run, saves on electricity.

Antman

20 x 47mm, 172 l cylinder, Heat Dump, 15 x Sanyo HIT-H250E, SB4000TL,  Nestor Martin IQ13 WBS
DIY Solar System Support at http://www.handyantman.co.uk/antman.html
All support is voluntary and free of charge. I'm not employed by Navitron so responses may not be same-day
Ivan
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 03:09:50 PM »

'bleep bleep bleep'......ARGH! I hate that noise. Especially, late at night, when I'm typing answers on the forum and the house is silent and the phone out of reach. Eventually, you have to deap with it.

My phones do take AA cells, and I did exactly as you said. I bought some 2800mAH cells from the far east from fleabay (should have known!) - they last about a month before they lose their ability to hold a charge, regardless of application, regardless of battery charger (I have a few fancy ones, as well as el cheapo quick charger).

I'll give your suggested supplier a try - I've been meaning to get some new good quality rechargeables for a while now.
Antman
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 07:21:06 PM »

I am certain you'll be pleased with them. Over 47,000 feedbacks and 100% positive can be classified as a reliable seller I think  Wink

And I don't put 1,500+ worth of model helicopter in the air with a suspect or dodgy flight battery pack!!!

Antman

20 x 47mm, 172 l cylinder, Heat Dump, 15 x Sanyo HIT-H250E, SB4000TL,  Nestor Martin IQ13 WBS
DIY Solar System Support at http://www.handyantman.co.uk/antman.html
All support is voluntary and free of charge. I'm not employed by Navitron so responses may not be same-day
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: