navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: running sketchup in ubuntu?  (Read 16757 times)
lightfoot

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 12:49:18 PM »

Billi - read this.... http://seogadget.co.uk/the-ubuntu-installation-guide/

Good luck,

Lightfoot.

Mother Nature is a wonderful housekeeper - but eat her out of house and home and you may just get your marching orders.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »

read it   lightfoot

but doesnot answer my question
Will my existing allready installed programs like Adobe , word , nero , etc   work with ubuntu or do i have to install them again ?

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
martin

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 01:46:54 PM »

If you're running straight Ubuntu you don't want or need the Windoze programmes - Ubuntu comes with "Open Office" which knocks spots off "Word" and "Office", the GIMP is entirely superior to Photoshop (the world's LEAST intuitive programme) - it also has it's own "Acrobat" reader, and probably best of all, you can wave goodbye to the utterly execrable "Nero" and use the Linux substitute! Grin
(Open Office can open and save all the relevant Windoze formats) Grin
Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux, and free software!

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
stephend

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 01:48:06 PM »

read it   lightfoot

but doesnot answer my question
Will my existing allready installed programs like Adobe , word , nero , etc   work with ubuntu or do i have to install them again ?

Billi, don't underestimate what changing to Ubuntu means!  None of your existing programs will work.  You'll have to find equivalent programs in the ubuntu world, and their packaging system makes this quite easy (easier than windows anyway).   Ubuntu comes pre-installed with all of those that you mentioned above - no need to install anything!  
You will have to make an investment in learning a new way of doing things and will probably have to spend some time getting peripherals to work if they aren't supported out of the box.  It can be a bit daunting, but also a lot of fun if you enjoy tinkering with software and having a completely new and faster operating system.  

Just be aware that it will require some time!

martin

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 01:51:20 PM »

It's certainly "different", but I think if you take the attitude that it's different and far more intuitive than Windoze, the transition is a doddle - certainly if I were teaching someone new to computing how to use one, Ubuntu is FAR easier to learn - it's unlearning the bad habits from Windoze that make the difficulties...... Wink

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
damnager

St Ives

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 02:27:35 PM »

Billi,
     If you are going to load Ubuntu as your main system then please backup all the files (data, mp3, pictures etc.) that you want to keep. A clean install will get rid of them all  sh*tfan.

If you just want to check out Ubuntu then load your machine as "dual boot", this will give you the choice at boot time to either go into M$ or Ubuntu. As said, Ubuntu has all the programs you mentioned (although slightly different interfaces) and more besides. Have fun with it  Grin

Keith
lightfoot

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 02:55:12 PM »

Billi - if you follow the instructions in the links I posted, you can effectively run Ubuntu within/along side MS Windows (dual boot).  It will leave all your MS Windows programs and files intact, to be used as and when required - should you choose to boot into Windows. 

As others have mentioned, you will use other (often better and free) programs when running Ubuntu, but you will still be able access/open some files such as jpegs and MS office docs etc from the MS Window directory (which will appear as another drive in the Ubuntu directory).

Even a numpty computer Luddite like me can handle it Grin

Give it a go, if you don't like it, you can always uninstall it like you would any other MS Windows program.

Lightfoot.

Mother Nature is a wonderful housekeeper - but eat her out of house and home and you may just get your marching orders.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »

cheers for all

I wished it could be done without reinstalling my programs , but that would have been a bid too much to ask for ...

I have since did a Windows xp repair ,big problems , like cannot print or update  and install  some programs etc

But still running ok and it took me a while to get all the programs setup

I have ubuntu  now running in parallel to xp  and i guess there will be a few things to learn  Tongue  ,

Billi

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 03:38:37 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
wyleu
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 04:07:35 PM »

I have ubuntu  now running in parallel to xp  and i guess there will be a few things to learn  Tongue  ,

Oh yes.

You will now discover that windows is 'a' way of doing computing not 'the' way.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 07:48:01 PM »

Grin  i guess my next computer will be a MAC   bike

lightfoot

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 02:15:04 PM »

Hey Billi - you may find this handy..... http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index2.html

Lightfoot.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:19:42 PM by lightfoot » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: