navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not car batteries?  (Read 10742 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 11:18:29 PM »

and you might as well throw the petrol genny away whilst your at it  Grin

come on Paul donot be as cruel ..... let it die in pride while charging ..... Roll Eyes

thats how good boys end up...

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Stefan (S.T.E.F.)

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 11:23:51 PM »

Hi STEPH

Take it from one who has 25 years of living off grid in the highlands, car batteries, leisure batteries, tractor batteries, marine batteries, and gel batteries are all 5hit3. Listen to Billy and Billi. Also forget all your calculations for sun in Thurso and you will need a tumble drier cos it rains an awful lot. You will however get LOTS of wind so make sure you get a STRONG turbine. Here's how I do it http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2008/01/01/powering-the-house/ and you might as well throw the petrol genny away whilst your at it  Grin

Good Luck, Paul

Hi Paul,
I believe you on the batteries, that's why I am liking the Trojan 6V batteries.
I have had my fair share of solar panel / sun / Thurso calculations, so I know not to expect much.
It does rain alot but maybe not as much as I wish for, as I will have to harvest rain water as there is no mains supply anywhere near. That doesn't mean you need a tumble drier though. We don't use it know, only for bedding, and dry washing from 7 people in the house. Not exactly impossible, as they have invented clothes drying racks, or whatever these things are called in English ;-)
I have planned on a 2.2kw Miniwind, which is made in the Highlands  Grin
And the petrol jenny will be much needed during the build before I install the turbine and the whole setup is running. I hope it will run a charger in case the batteries get low. I don't mind setting it up manually as I hope it won't be often.

Stefan

Finally building this year after 3 years of planning / building control / finance mess.... phew.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 11:32:50 PM »

Stefan

strange enough ..... there was an article in an Irish magazine on Trojan 6 V batteries for Offgrid (i thought about them as well)

Magazine is called Local Planet    the guy bought 16 Trojan  L16 batteries ..... they failed quite early ( they think cause  a mixture off different age,   but nobody helps him now  Huh

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Stefan (S.T.E.F.)

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 11:41:53 PM »

Any battery that hasn't failed? You telling me forklift batteries don't fail? Or not for the first 30 years. Sure there is somebody out there who will have early failed fork lift batteries.... there is always one..... or two.
I was planning on buying new ones and discharge them at around 5% maybe 10%, max 20%. I much rather have my lights go off than my batteries die.....

Stefan

P.S.: I recently saw a program on TV, I think it was Grand Designs, where the German builders where stupid, off schedule and left a leaky flat roof behind. There is always an exception to the norm...
  Cool Grin Cool surrender
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 11:43:24 PM by S.T.E.F. » Logged

Finally building this year after 3 years of planning / building control / finance mess.... phew.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 12:16:30 AM »

I dont mind  Stefan , just telling about what i have come across  in my young 3 years off grid ..... which is not  a long time

My first battery was costing  2500 pounds failed  ( Energy batteries  they do Trojan as well ) , no help at all ,

I will not tell you anything , and have no holy water in my hands , so spent now about 4000 on Batteries excluding the trouble , i guess i should have spent 5000 from the start to live in peace .......

P.S.: I recently saw a program on TV, I think it was Grand Designs, where the German builders where stupid, off schedule and left a leaky flat roof behind. There is always an exception to the norm...

I guess their cordless drill  was working on a car battery  Grin, Trojan was too heavy  Tongue  a forklift would have solved it  Lips Sealed

We are just talking  and  sharing ideas  .... thats all

billi

camillitech

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 06:17:10 AM »

Sounds like your on the right track to me STEPH, good quality turbine, inverter and batteries. The solar panels may not produce much but will be invaluable for the two or three weeks of summer you'll get in May and June  Grin Actually this year we had 6 whole weeks  Shocked To be honest your probably right about the tumble drier also. It's just I don't like living in a Chinese laundry  Grin and was sick of recovering my washing from muddy fields 300 yards away. I used to measure wind strength by the number of pegs required to hold a pair of boxers on the washing line  Grin and it's been blowing a good force 6 for three days now ( about 9 on the beaufort scale ) so make sure you buy plenty of pegs!

Good Luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
guydewdney

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 08:44:27 AM »

If you go for a miniwind check that the bearings have been replaced with decent ones - the gen heads are made in china and the bearings lasted me three or four days.

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
Justme

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 09:38:20 AM »

Perfect sense.

The genny I said was sized ok was ment to be the wing turbine lol. I realy must proof read my posts better.

I can recommend the Outback controllers. I have the FX80 you would only need the 60.

Justme

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
Stefan (S.T.E.F.)

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 10:18:44 PM »

If you go for a miniwind check that the bearings have been replaced with decent ones - the gen heads are made in china and the bearings lasted me three or four days.

When was that ?

Stefan

guydewdney

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 11:30:04 PM »

That was a few months ago. Gordon (of renewablecomponents) has told me they are now replacing ALL the bearings with SKF / RHP ones. They were shockingly bad!

Pic of wheel on day 1
Stefan (S.T.E.F.)

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 11:03:23 AM »

I should be alright then as I won't buy mine til August or after.

Stefan

Adam

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 05:53:57 PM »

That was a few months ago. Gordon (of renewablecomponents) has told me they are now replacing ALL the bearings with SKF / RHP ones. They were shockingly bad!
Thanks for that Wink

Mines been fine but will get some spare bearings and keep an eye on it Grin

I started with 4 new 110ah lesure batteries, diddn't last long, bought second hand forklift battery and never looked back Wink

If you are going off grid you will need one of these CLICK HERE
camillitech

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 06:41:09 PM »

Now that's what I call a generator Adam  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Adam

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2009, 08:09:26 PM »

It is! and it needs to be Wink i would'nt dream of going off grid without one especially if you are charging a large battery bank for long hours.
guydewdney

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 08:12:54 PM »

pah!

you need this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rolls-Royce-Diesel-Generators-x-3-312-5kva-each_W0QQitemZ140295474483QQihZ004QQcategoryZ46412QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pic of wheel on day 1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: