navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not car batteries?  (Read 10730 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2009, 08:17:22 PM »

Justme   fair points

so how would you extent a battery bank , when your system grows ?

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Billy
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2009, 08:45:29 PM »

Have to agree with Justme here, we now only fit single battery banks on boats.  Just have a relatively small dedicated engine start battery.

No good keeping a discharged (lead acid) bank on the off chance you may have some power to get rid of.

Hello Billi, Billy here.

Like pv panels batteries should not really be added to as they will only work to the best cell.  I have no idea how to enlarge the bank, perhaps sell on the small and buy the big.
AlanM

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2009, 08:53:44 PM »

Just had a read thru the smartguage site. Lots of interesting stuff there. I too had thought about a split bank, as for example, installing first bank, of x amphours, and then adding on another bank of x amphours with a spilt charge controller to fill one up and then the other, with the load going on to the full bank while the charge goes to the other. One benefit i had thought of was if you get a duff battery, then you dont have it affecting the whole bank, just half.
But, having read the posts and the links, the answer is forklifts...................

Alan
Justme

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2009, 09:59:27 PM »

With your method Alan you will loose out the the charge inificiencies. 100amps from the charge source direct to the power user is 100amps. But if you need that 100 amps from the battery you need to put in 130-140amps. Better to use power as it made than store it. From what I gather the only good reason to have a split bank is so that you can charge one as usual from your non mains source but then as it gets to the later very low amps absorbtion stage (talking 6-12 hours here cos most people under charge the batteries big time) instead of keeping the genny on you can actualy charge the second bank from the first at a very low rate. Lots of losses but saves on inificient genny use. Hope I explained that OK.

If charging from mains never split the bank.

Justme

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
Stefan (S.T.E.F.)

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2009, 05:09:21 PM »

I was offered a 48V forklift battery (24x2V) in case second hand for 700. It sounds very cheap to me and I can't test the cells as the seller is too far away from me. He sells them on a regular basis. Any ideas?
Should I steer clear or give it a go? I have no idea what they cost new, so can't compare.
Stefan

Finally building this year after 3 years of planning / building control / finance mess.... phew.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2009, 05:19:42 PM »

Stefan

How old , how many AH at 48  Volt ? how many Volts is he reading ?

For example a 500AH 48 Volt one new is about 4000 euro
Billi

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:59:10 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
northern installer

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2009, 05:48:38 PM »

Stef,if this chap has regular battery supplies,can you negotiate some sort of return for exchange deal?;it may involve a certain amount of travel,but you are less likely to get stuck with a failed battery? just an idea..

"government scrappage scheme still available on Tardis trade ins (dont ask how we get around the deadline...)"
Stefan (S.T.E.F.)

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2009, 05:53:48 PM »

420AH per cell, no idea about age but that doesn't mean anything anyway.
I bought 11x 105AH deep cycle batteries from somebody who apparently pulls them out of Telecom UPS systems. They were 6 years old, all fine to date 1 year later, holding charge at 12.65V-12.72V. I then bought another batch of 19x 43Ah batteries for messing around with, all 6 years old, also from a UPS apparently.
They are totally rubbish, discharging to anything between 11.06V and 12.52V. I have sorted 5 out that keep their charge above 12.4 for at least 7 days, they might do for some light for the chickens, the rest will have to go.
So age means nothing to me. Charge cycles nobody can tell and also not discharge and charge levels, so will have to hope for the best whenever you can't test them yourself....

Has anybody got a source for forklift battery prices (new)? Don't seem to find any online.

Stefan

Finally building this year after 3 years of planning / building control / finance mess.... phew.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2009, 05:58:47 PM »

Like said before.....

a 500AH 48 Volt one new is about 4000 euro  ( but i wouldnot buy them new , cause then for that money  there are better types)

Billi

AlanM

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2009, 06:35:10 PM »

hmm, a friend of mine  has a nephew who can source ups batteries for 10 each. Not sure of capacity, but would have thought they will be between 80 and 120, given the normal weights and manual handling guidelines. Question is are they likely to be any use? , or at 10 they are worth the risk........? If they are they VRLA or gel types are they more trouble than they are worth?
If I can source a forklift battery, is there a link to specific gravity readings to look out for, and if there are duff cells, can they be replaced or does it affect the whole. I know that a new cell would come down to the level of the majority, but if they were replaced with " spares cells" from another pack would they work  or does it upset everything?

Justme, My plans for power are Wind turbine, probably miniwind with 3m blades, with diesel backup genny (which i already have) for any periods of doldrums.
Alan
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2009, 07:57:10 PM »

From what I gather the only good reason to have a split bank is so that you can charge one as usual from your non mains source but then as it gets to the later very low amps absorbtion stage (talking 6-12 hours here cos most people under charge the batteries big time) instead of keeping the genny on you can actualy charge the second bank from the first at a very low rate. Lots of losses but saves on inificient genny use. Hope I explained that OK.

Grin  Thats why i  have a charged 500 ah Battery on my Pickup truck (charged by the alternator during driving ) to connect  to my house battery in the evening, if needed -whether to charge the main battery or just to supply the house (or both )  i like that more then the noise of the genny  whistlie

Billi

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: