navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions on grid connect  (Read 5121 times)
l gurner

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 06:47:21 PM »

I don't have much knowledge about the applications of wind turbines so this may sound stupid! Is it possilbe to have a system installed where a wind turbine could
 Power circuits in a house directly , such as lighting circuits,
 Have the mains power back up from the house supply house if the turbine is producing less power than
needed? and if the turbine was producing more power than was needed, could it be sold back to the grid. If so how?

Also is it possible to secure any of navitrons turbines to a building instead of a tower and is this even a good idea? I have heard that B and Q,s turbines supposedly do this but i also hear that they aren,t worth investing in. Undecided   
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 12:00:14 PM »

Is it possilbe to have a system installed where a wind turbine could Power circuits in a house directly , such as lighting circuits,
 Have the mains power back up from the house supply house if the turbine is producing less power than
needed? and if the turbine was producing more power than was needed, could it be sold back to the grid. If so how?

This is exactly the capability that a grid-tie inverter provides.

Volunteer moderator
Ex_Sailor

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 06:57:51 PM »

Also is it possible to secure any of navitrons turbines to a building instead of a tower and is this even a good idea? I have heard that B and Q,s turbines supposedly do this but i also hear that they aren,t worth investing in

This is regarded as just about the worst possible installation of a turbine of just about any size!
If it doesn't vibrate your chimney/wall -whole house- to bits, the turbulance will be so great, that there will be little or none usable output.

HTH,

Colin
Ivan
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 01:29:22 AM »

Most manufacturers warn against building-mounted wind turbines...especially if you sleep in the building!! Windsave are one of a minority of manufacturers that recommend mounting a turbine in this fashion, but even if you disregard the practical considerations as to why you should not do this, there are severe performance restrictions, as previously mentioned. You would be lucky to get 1/3 of the power achieved by a freestanding turbine in the same location

Ivan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: