navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cable length, sizes and components  (Read 9943 times)
w0067814

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 11:25:41 AM »

so to make it short   ,if its so easy  .... what cable then for the  48 volt turbine/generator DC output    for a 100 meter distance to the battery  Roll Eyes

or  does it mean cable costs will  be astronomical

You do not say what power your tubine is, not the acceptable losses. I shall assume 2200w turbine (as mentioned in the OP's post) and 5% cable losses.

I shall also assume that you wish to cyclically charge the batteries in order to get as much charge into them as possible in the shortest space of time. Thus I shall use a cut off voltage of 2.4v per cell as which point at which you switch from constant current to contstant voltage charging.

Cable losses = 2200W * 5% = 110W
Battery Power = 2200W * 95% = 2090W

Battery cut off voltage = 24 cells * 2.4v = 57.6V
Battery Current = 2090W / 57.6V = 36.28A

Required Cable Resistance = 110w / (36.28 * 36.28) = 0.076 Ohms. (Total for 200m).

Work back from Actual cable resistance to get Ohms per km...

0.076 Ohms * (1000m / 200m) = 0.38 Ohms / km.

Using the above table; a cable somewhere near 50mm˛ would be required.

A dead easy way to calculate the cross-sectional area required (in mm2) is:

A (mm2) = Length x Current/12

The equation allows for a maximum volts drop of 0.4v and takes in to account the cable's return journey so enter the length (in metres) from the battery to the appliance one way ONLY.

So L (one way) x Amps div by 12 = cable in mm2

solving using this formula gives...

Battery Volts + Cable Loss volts = Total turbine volts.
57.6 + 0.4 = 58v

Calculate the current...
2200W / 58V = 37.93A

Calculate the losses of the cable with 0.4V drop...
P = IV
37.93A * 0.4v = 15.17W

Calculate the area required for this using the supplied formula
100m * (37.93 / 12) = 316mm˛

As you can see this figure is very high. As a percentage of total generation the losses are exceptionally small, but I think the cable cost would be prohibitive...
15.17W / 2200W = 0.67%

Justme

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 12:44:07 PM »

I think you missed the bit where he said his voltage from the turbine to the bank was 300v (wild AC over 3 cables).

Ok that calc is normaly used for much shorter & higher loads like inter cell connects & bank to inverter connects.

The other thing is some people will accept a higher loss than others.

Justme

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
Stefan (S.T.E.F.)

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »

Well, I have decided to have the battery bank next to the house and go for a turbine that produces 300V or so and then rectifies near the batteries. So now I only need to work out the cables for 200m for 300V rather than 48V, should save a fortune.
The dump load problem is still there. Do I connect the dump loads to the charge controller near the battery ?
If yes then I don't have a problem. Oh confused now. All these sales people are driving me in sane !
They just don't seem to know what they are talking about half the time....

Stefan

Finally building this year after 3 years of planning / building control / finance mess.... phew.
Justme

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 03:53:53 PM »

Yes or even in the house.

30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 05:10:08 PM »

The dump load problem is still there

I have my dump load  in my shed ( it came with my windturbine)  cause was too loud  ( like screaming ) and should have replaced it with a other DC idea    , but i did program the internal relay of the Victron   to start a socket at (in my case at about 30 volt  )   and connected a heater to it,,,,, ideally it was designed to start my  heatpump

I felt more comfy  with two dump loads just in case  Tongue

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Stefan (S.T.E.F.)

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »

So it sounds like I can dump via the victron (which I was just told by a sale person that it was impossible). Could I simply connect an electric heater to it to heat my workshop/battery room? I'll make sure I only tinker in there when it's rather windy.
I know we talked about this before, but how about a second battery bank? We still get very windy days in the summer and I don't want to fry the batteries from the outside.... or myself. The second battery bank could be a back up ? No ?

Stefan

Finally building this year after 3 years of planning / building control / finance mess.... phew.
Justme

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »

No,

The second bank would need to be kept in a stage of discharge ready for the dump load so would soon fail. You could have two equal banks that are rotated. Say have a 3 day supply via each bank. Use one & charge the other. Costly way to do it.

Justme

30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 06:56:53 PM »

So it sounds like I can dump via the victron

My victron multi plus has a internal relay i can configure /program (with the VE configure software) to  what ever i want  to dump /use excess power  , that the battery cannot absorb ( but to keep the battery healthy you need to make sure  that she is charged fully sometimes / every week  and that needs some time  Tongue)

In relation to your expectations on surplus power  Grin  ....  i always was fooled and expected more performance ....

Be it wind , PV, or Solar thermal .....  but after a while they all got my best friends  Grin

We still get very windy days in the summer and I don't want to fry the batteries from the outside.... or myself. The second battery bank could be a back up ? No ?

Perhaps you now think i am mad but i will store power on my land , by digging a lake /dam to store about 100 kwh of power  in form of a water battery that then can be utilised  to charge the one and only  Lead -acid battery

But if you find out , that your windturbine is over performing , then i guess you are able to deal with that  after installed her  Wink

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Justme

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2009, 07:39:43 PM »

I do like the set up that american bloke has with a hydroligiser to use up all the excess summer power making hydrogen & then he uses that fuel to make elec in the winter.

Justme

30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Bill H

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »

Perhaps you now think i am mad but i will store power on my land , by digging a lake /dam to store about 100 kwh of power  in form of a water battery that then can be utilised  to charge the one and only  Lead -acid battery

But if you find out , that your windturbine is over performing , then i guess you are able to deal with that  after installed her  Wink

Billi

Well Billi, what an excellent idea - and why not !    Not sure about the physics and engineering that might be needed - would obviously need a good head - I know you have a few slopes around there - but 100kWh seems pretty do-able with a reasonable amount of land and and in a windy old place like yours  Wink  should be easy to add enough generation......  It is  Cool

Very best - and it would/will be a real learning for all on the forum.  If you need some help when it comes to the heavy lifting - PM me !

Bill

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:46:45 PM by Bill H » Logged

The only safe place for a fusion reactor is 93 million miles away.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 06:33:31 AM »

Bill

I have about 22 meter head and a little stream ( between 0- 30 l/s ) and   a small valley  that i can  dam  to a lake holding roughly 6000 m3  of water ( dont tell the planning office  police ) That lake i want to build anyhow as a feature

The waterturbine (arrived a week ago)  uses 36 m3  an hour  for each KW  produced  so if i drain the lake for one meter (and leave 2 meter in)  that can produce ideally then 55 kwh  so enough power to keep us going on not sunny days  ( but had 4.5 kwh PV power yesterday  Grin)
its hard to know how fast it will refill cause depends on rain )

I hope that that idea replaces the diesel back up  generator (charging batteries )  or  to power a heatpump

( i donot trust cheapish  windturbines anymore since mine came down 3 weeks ago  surrender)

Will see 

Billi the Kid

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2009, 07:38:27 AM »

Stefan

here is  the description (ignore the grid connection in this case )  of how it  works  so basically you could use that relay to power what you like in your house

http://www.victronenergy.de/upload/documents/DC%20solar%20system%20with%20a%20MultiPlus%20inverter-charger.pdf

Billi

Bill H

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2009, 09:41:56 AM »

Billi, so, are you going for some kind of pumped storage ?  do you have the space for a 2000cub meter 'lake' near the level of the tubine?  or is the 'once through' solution enough ? 

Going pretty seriously off-thread here - maybe we should move to the Hydro threads  tomatosplat

cheers

Bill

The only safe place for a fusion reactor is 93 million miles away.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »

Billi, so, are you going for some kind of pumped storage ?  do you have the space for a 2000cub meter 'lake' near the level of the tubine?  or is the 'once through' solution enough ?

the lake is 22 meters higher than the turbine (will be) and for the start its not pumped  cause cannot dig a second  lake next to the turbine  Huh 

So i decided  to just open the lake  as a backup  and feed the turbine and then figure out more ideas

One is a RAM Pump to fill the upper lake( trickle charge )  from a small stream i have with no or small head
the other sure is  my engine powered waterrpump  to pump water 22 meters up with a hydroturbine attached to the outlet  wackoold

will see

Billi

Stefan (S.T.E.F.)

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2009, 08:54:06 PM »

I have enough room for a lake but no head, so some kind of electric appliance for the dump load. How about electric underfloor heating for the bathroom ?

Stefan

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: