navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cable length, sizes and components  (Read 9928 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2009, 09:25:07 PM »

i would wait and then decide, cause you will hardly know now   how often the dump will be activated ...

the dump element and the chargecontroller of my windturbine just passed on a part of the power (from the turbine) to the dump (heat element)  the rest was still flowing into the battery ...... so you hardly will see a constant dump

Sure if you dump via the Victron relay then  you decide what you take out of the battery ( but with the side effect that you are not charging the battery like it should be )

I would go for a normal dump load controller  like the morningstar , or whatever your (good  Roll Eyes )supplier recommends
And additional ( like the document  about the Victron)    a small heating device  perhaps 1/3 of  the rated output power of the turbine  or a dim able advice that you can scale up depending on windpower

Again i would use a heatpump like these with 500 watt input to get 2000 watt heat

http://www.ochsner.com/typen_ww.htm

But these are just thoughts as well , and a windturbine needs a reliable dump idea ( thats why i suggest 2)

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Justme

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2009, 10:14:42 PM »

You could use the periods when you would dump power as part of your planned equilization charge regime.

Justme

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
Stefan (S.T.E.F.)

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009, 09:08:46 AM »

You guys just like to confuse me even more!
I could dump via the victron, but I can't because I won't charge my batteries properly. But I could use a dump controller but I still need to do an equalization charge?
Can you elaborate?

Stefan

Finally building this year after 3 years of planning / building control / finance mess.... phew.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009, 09:59:57 AM »

You guys just like to confuse me even more!

Confuse ?  thanks for your time guys would be more appropriate  Wink

Perhaps you read a bid more about battery charging first

I always said you can use the victron to pass surplus  power into the house , but you need a proper Charge controller and a dump element as well with your setup  to make sure you fully charge the battery from time to time

Perhaps you should read the posts  a bid more detailed

the dump element and the chargecontroller of my windturbine just passed on a part of the power (from the turbine) to the dump (heat element)  the rest was still flowing into the battery ...... so you hardly will see a constant dump

Sure if you dump via the Victron relay then  you decide what you take out of the battery ( but with the side effect that you are not charging the battery like it should be )

I would go for a normal dump load controller  like the morningstar , or whatever your (good  Roll Eyes ) supplier recommends
And additional ( like the document  about the Victron)    a small heating device  perhaps 1/3 of  the rated output power of the turbine  or a dim able advice that you can scale up depending on windpower

so i used the the chage controller and the dump element in my shed to provide save  windturbine operation  and to fully charge the battery  and then after battery is fully charged and there was still  good wind out there a AC heater in the house kicked in  controlled by the Victron relay

Billi
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:09:59 AM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: