navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warming a battery shed with genny exhaust  (Read 2454 times)
stephend

« on: January 29, 2009, 10:21:18 PM »

I'm building a combined generator + battery shed 1.5m underground, with an additional 0.5m of wall added above ground and then plan to cover the whole thing with an earth roof.  The idea is to reduce noise and help protect the batteries from getting too cold in winter (typically -5 outside at coldest).  Walls will be mostly solid concrete with a thin layer of external insulation.
The shed will be divided in 2, 1 room for water cooled genny and 1 for batteries with a thin brick dividing wall.

I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile piping the exhaust from the generator past the outside walls of the battery shed to help heat the room.  Something like frotter's pit of doom, but with the pit being long and flat and directly adjacent to the battery shed wall.  Is it necessary or desirable to heat the battery room in winter or is a well insulated room good enough?  (With vents for gases of course!)

Justme

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 11:02:45 PM »

What temp do you expect in the bat room with no heating?

Bats dont want to be hot or cold.

Justme

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
stephend

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 01:26:25 PM »

What temp do you expect in the bat room with no heating?

Bats dont want to be hot or cold.

I guess that's really my question to you Smiley  Do other off-griders in zero degree winters actively heat their battery sheds or not?
Does charging the battery produce enough heat to keep them warm on it's own?

dhaslam

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 04:33:26 PM »

You will probably find that noise from the exhaust also needs consideration.   There was  a previous discussion on burying the exhaust pipe with an expansion area at the end of the run.   Batteries need ventilation so you are going to have some cooling from air circulation and this might be a way to use the exhaust heat.   

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
bar

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:48:39 PM »

Hi

I have similar concerns.

currently my battery store is an unheated ventilated timber shed, with the generator running next door.

I have noticed a sharp drop in battery output during the cold weather. However my generator only runs to charge the batteries and when charging the batteries tend to warm a little themselves. when the generator is not on there is no possibility of gaining any heat from it. looking to the generator for heat is therefore not a solution - unless you can use the cooling water system feeding heat into a heat store for slow release in the battery compartment.

thought about bringing batteries into house; running ch pipes into battery compartment; enclosing batteries in insulated compartment (maintaining ventilation) with electric heater for cold weather run off the batteries.

currently doing nothing and accepting the charge will occur every 3 days rather than 5 days (approx).

we don't plan to fail we only fail to plan
camillitech

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 05:30:43 AM »

Morning chaps,

Sitting your batteries on a sturdy pallet off the ground and putting 2" polystyrene around them will make a big difference.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 11:32:18 AM »

Hi

My battery is insulated  and we have had frost  today  and now sunny but cold  the PV is charging and the temp sensor   of the charge controller automatically changed the "ABSORB voltage set point"  from normal 29.6V (warm day) to 31 Volt this morning

So in cold conditions make sure the battery is charged fully  and the use off a tempsensor makes definitely sense , if the temp is varying a lot at the battery

Billi

Here from my manual  for lead acid batteries (open)

Non-Battery Temperature Compensated System
If a battery remote temperature sensor is not available the Absorb and Float voltage regulation
set points can be adjusted for the expected weather conditions. The following table shows the
appropriate adjustments for both Absorb and Float voltage regulation set points for weather conditions
above or below 77˚F / 25 C
EXPECTED TEMPERATURE ADJUST SET POINT 12V    24V   48V
             Average = 95˚F / 35˚C Subtract    0.30V 0.60V 1.20V
       Average = 86˚F / 30˚C Subtract          0.15V 0.30V 0.60V
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Average = 68 F / 20˚C Add        0.15V 0.3 V 0.60V
                Average = 59˚F / 15˚C Add       0.30V 0.60V 1.20V

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: