navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: using a tristar 45 in a narrow boat  (Read 1697 times)
jack

« on: February 06, 2009, 07:42:22 PM »

Hi,
I have a tristar 45 from my wind turbine days.
Can I wire it direct to a 30a 12v DYNAMO (yes dynamo) without it  going through the dynamo's regulator?
It is from a lister SL3 engine in my narrow boat charging deep cycle batteries?
Can I also wire in parallel a small solar panel over winter to keep it topped up?
Thanks
Billy
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 12:20:17 AM »

Hello Jack,

Will you be using the Lister to move the the NB whilst charging or just charging on mooring.  If latter, perhaps go to scrappy and get alternator, more bang for bucks.  Changed from dynamo to alternator on my old air cooled Lister on work boat and it keeps the battery charged now.  Plus you can fit an alternator charge controller from Sterling perhaps and really charge them up to full.

Unless you really want to keep the dyno for looks or originality, alt is the way to go, imho.

Billy
jack

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 08:58:13 PM »

HI,
I would prefer to go to alternator, but did not think it would get the revs up to get it charging! It is about 2 to 1 ratio.
Did you put on a bigger pulley on the engine?
Billy
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 10:06:13 AM »

Hi Jack,

No, I just got away with it, the one on the alternator was smaller than the dynamo but I do have to rev the engine momentarily to kick in the charge (to get the light to go out).  It is not too efficient like this and is really a bit slow but it's only the engine start battery.

To get the best I think the alternators have to spin around 8000 rpm so you may have to play around with pulley size on engine.  I have bolted one to the front of the original pulley before which worked well, just make sure it is very central or the belt goes slack and tight, I know  wackoold
jack

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 09:54:39 AM »

Hi
Thanks, that is a good start!
Will let you know what happens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: