navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: knackered laptop  (Read 5156 times)
Ivan
« on: February 08, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »

My wife's Toshiba laptop gave up yesterday (only 10months old). I think it's a motherboard fault - the caps lock/num lock lights don't operate, and the screen remains blank, although the power LED lights when you try to start up (and it won't shut down unless battery removed). I've tried removing HDD and memory, and it does the same, so I guess those components aren't faulty.

Unfortunately, I'd used the computer to dump 4.5GB of data from another laptop (my mother's) that had a failing harddrive. Sod's Law - the data had only been on the computer a day, and I hadn't had chance to transfer to a DVD disc.

Is there an easy way to connect a laptop hard drive to something (another laptop, desktop pc) so I can download everything that's relevant before returning it for exchange under warranty? I guess i need a special lead of some sort...
guydewdney

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 10:24:15 PM »

maplin sell an adapter doohicky to plug a laptop drive into a normal PC

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37602

no doubt you can find it cheaper

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
Ivan
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 10:34:11 PM »

Sounds just the job, but doesn't look like it will plug into the toshiba HDD. Are there any other standards for laptop HDDs?
daftlad

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 11:08:31 PM »

i got a usb to hdd adaptor off fleabay for not a lot.

my hp laptop had an adaptor on the pin connector to turn it into an edge connector.

post a pic  and we can have a look

as i know it there is the following standards

ide for 3.5 inch hdd or cd, needs power (not likely for laptop)
ide for 2.5 inch hdd no power connector (standard for laptops)
Sata or serial ata (connector is about 13 mm accross)
and scsi (dont know much about this)

i got one of these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-to-SATA-IDE-adapter-cable-SATA-cable_W0QQitemZ220342387480QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item220342387480&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

it has both ide add sata connectors and you dont need to take the lid off your desktop computer to plug it in.

good luck
laters

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
wdh

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 11:14:28 PM »

If its not like that Maplin one's connector then (at a year old) its probably SATA (Serial ATA) rather than (the Maplin one's) IDE (parallel ATA).

Plenty of SATA to usb adapters on eBay.
Even with a case for the drive
one example http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-5-USB-SATA-Hard-Disk-Drive-Enclosure-HDD-Caddy-Case_W0QQitemZ310060963746QQ
wdh

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 11:15:52 PM »

Sounds just the job, but doesn't look like it will plug into the toshiba HDD. Are there any other standards for laptop HDDs?

PS Google the drive model number to confirm its SATA (bet it is!)
Ivan
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 11:39:29 PM »

Here's a pic (not very good - cameraphone).

* Image000.jpg (71.83 KB, 480x640 - viewed 416 times.)
guydewdney

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 11:40:25 PM »

looks like sata!  Roll Eyes

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
Ivan
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 11:44:41 PM »

Cheers! I'll buy the SATA enclosure adaptor, in that case.
daftlad

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 11:56:30 PM »

the enclosure looks like a good and cheap piece of kit.
i got the other cable so i could access all of the old drives i have kicking about

advantage of enclosure is it is in uk so quick

laters

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
johnrae

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 09:20:33 AM »

Are you sure your mother, and now you aren't suffering from some worm or virus that has  now got into your machine and is enjoying itself
RichardKB

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 01:32:16 PM »

It is quite common for laptops to fail.

Most faults are due to portability.

1 The power socket on the mobo breaks out of the solder.

2 The continued flexing of the chassis from use and opening and closing the lid causes a broken joint on a BGA chip especially since the use of lead free solder.

I have had some memory failures 3 CPU's in 9 years and broken screens or failed back lights or the associated inverters.

If it is a BGA problem you can sometimes put the laptop on the edge of a desk diagonally, so half is hanging off and apply slight pressure to the two corners that are not along the bench edge and power it up, if it now works then you have a poor joint problem.

I have an external USB hard drive box that takes either IDE or SATA drives bought from that auction site.

Rich
kristen

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 03:15:48 PM »

I don't understand why parents allow their kids to plague them mobile computers.  If you need to compute in unpredictable places fine.  If you want to work from home and office get remote-control of the office machine.

Mobiles are less upgradable, more fragile, and have less modular components - keyboard repair difficult/expensive, as against a replacement keyboard which is probably all of 10.

Position of keyboard and screen not as ergonomic as separate Screen / keyboard / mouse either, and I reckon more likely to lead to RSI type problems for growing kids.

The low wattage of a mobile is attractive though ... just need a low wattage PC box and I'll be a happy-chappie.
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 05:10:20 PM »

My wife was moaning about access to a pc, speed of old laptop (a very underused vaio) & is now happy as larry due to chip upgrade but more importantly a wirelss keyboard & ergonomic mount by Logitec called the Alto, got it cheap in Staples just before xmas, gives really good lift of the laptops screen& the new keyboard simply flips over onto it when not in use.

...perfect for the thin office benching I have planned.
recommended for those who want low voltage, & possible portability of their laptop (not to mentiongood air cooling whether overclocking or not)!

definitely NOTchocolateteapot

* logitech-alto-keyboard.jpg (12.75 KB, 350x309 - viewed 327 times.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 07:13:16 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
Ivan
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 04:05:53 PM »

Thanks for all the help.

I have bought the SATA enclosure recommended, and managed to back up everything that was needed. Now just got to wait and see if they fix the laptop under warranty.

Mr. Gus, that unit looks ideal for extending the life of my mother's decrepid laptop, if I was to get a new harddrive for it. Will look into that too.....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: