navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another techie question - laser printer  (Read 6570 times)
Ivan
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:18:18 PM »

I've got a rather nice colour laser printer - a magicolor 2300. It's one of the best printers I've had, and draws tiny amounts of power in standby (not that I leave it in standby very often, but a lot of people do), ethernet connection etc, and only 230 new.

I've refilled the toner cartridges quite a few times, and eventually I got a problem - two or three red horizontal lines on the page if I printed in colour, but it printed in mono perfectly. I presumed this was due to the leaky red toner...which I later discovered, and I dismantled the machine and cleaned it (NB if you try this at home, don't do it on the bedroom carpet!). It's certainly a lot cleaner inside the machine, but the red marks are still there, and now I have a couple of black marks too.      fume

Which bits do I need to replace to fix it?

P.S. Each cartridge (4 of them) has a little toner-covered roller and they are fitted to a tombola-like arrangement, and there's also a single separate unit  - green shiny thing (photoconductor) which I've been careful not to touch except on recommendation, swabbed it with alcohol to clean off bits of toner that had accumulated. According to the printer, this is within it's lifecycle (I haven't extended it).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 11:21:41 PM by Ivan » Logged
PEMTEK

If I can I usually do

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 11:29:05 PM »

Hi,

usually the photostatic drum causes marks on the prints due to the cleaning blade failing and also drum sensitivity failing.

im no expert on it but our laser printers at work get these problems and have always been fixed by replacing the drum / drums

Phil

If it aint broke, you aint trying..
Ivan
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 12:33:53 AM »

cheers Phil. I guess it might be brushes, as there seems to be only one drum, so as the fault was originally with red, and now with black (after fiddling), I guess it can't be the drum itself.

Of course, there's also a big black rubber band thing, but I think the same thing applies.

Any idea if brushes are a replaceable part on their own?
w0067814

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 11:16:09 AM »

If there are scratches on the drum this can also cause lines / dots etc. You may need to replace the drum. This is often why toner cartridges have the drums built in. :-(
wdh

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 11:50:59 AM »

I've refilled the toner cartridges quite a few times, and eventually I got a problem - two or three red horizontal lines on the page if I printed in colour, but it printed in mono perfectly. I presumed this was due to the leaky red toner...which I later discovered, and I dismantled the machine and cleaned it (NB if you try this at home, don't do it on the bedroom carpet!). It's certainly a lot cleaner inside the machine, but the red marks are still there, and now I have a couple of black marks too.      fume

Which bits do I need to replace to fix it?

Are the defects random, or are they at a fixed distance apart along the direction of paper travel?
"Repeating defects" are diagnostic not merely of a problem associated with a roller, but, given the repeat distance (and tech docs for the printer), which roller.

My expectation from the description (toner refilled plural times, now leaking) is that the roller and wiper that release an even layer of toner from the cartridge are no longer doing that (or are giving an excessively thick layer). The fix would be to replace the cartridge. There's a limit to the number of times you can refill a Biro with ink only before the writing ball becomes sloppy!
Ivan
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 12:25:44 AM »

The red splodges are very definitely reproduceable - same places on each sheet. From what I remember the black is a couple of lines, but I gave up in disgust after having spent a few hours 'servicing'.

The toner drum is well-within it's lifespan, whereas the red cartridge has been refilled twice. Funny enough, the black cartridge has been refilled about 4 times, but it only showed problems after I tried to fix the red problem.

Any idea where I find the technical docs on this printer?
RichardKB

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 12:45:48 AM »

Try here.

http://www.minolta-qms.com/service/Parts_Information/mc2300/parts/parts_menu.asp

Rich
dhaslam

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 01:00:20 AM »

There is also a transfer unit in colour lasers, perhaps it is holding the colour.  I'm not sure what the transfer unit does normally but it sounds like a place to store repeated dirty marks.     I had a leaky cyan cartridge once on a HP4500 and after five years there were still blue marks on some prints.    The newer straight through colour lasers are so much better and cheaper.   I have a HP4700 now and like the Magicolor it is a big improvement on the previous generation.  I wouldn't use refilled cartridges again though.   

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
wdh

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 10:11:58 AM »

Did you note how the spare part prices compared to the 230 for a complete printer?
IIRC, its cheaper to buy another printer than to buy a full set of comsumables.
eBay offers 4 cartridges at 30/40 each (over 80 even as a set), the drum is 140+, so we are over 220 already, then there's the belt ...

QMS/Minolta/Konica have never gone in for posting tech info for the world to see.
But there's someone on eBay flogging service manuals on cd fur under a fiver...

There's a pro toner cartridge 'remanufacturing guide' (pdf) for the 2300 here
http://www.uninetimaging.com/newsletter/QMS_Magicolor_2300_Toner_Summit_Web.pdf
Take a look at Figures 3 and 4 to see the delicate arrangement of wipers and rollers (in each "toner cartridge") that transfer the toner to the main photoconductor (imaging) drum.

If a fault is limited to a particular colour, it has its origin within that 'cartridge'.
Since you are VERY unlikely to get spares for parts inside the cartridge (without taking up a toner refilling franchise), the simple thing to do is to replace the cartridge. And, ludicrously, it might even be economic to replace the printer.

For DIY repair (and certainly parts availability, especially from 3rd parties), just speaking very generally, HP are far and away the better bet.
Rooster

Dum Spiro Spero

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 10:16:21 AM »

I recently bought a colour laser network printer, not very green but it seems cheaper to buy a new one once the refills start playing up.

This one was a Xerox Phaser 6110n. Its Ok for light use, would be expensive to run for heavy continuous use.

Its currently 88.54 with a free additional Black toner Cart. (75.35 without the network capability) The free Cart is worth about 50. People seem to buy them just to get the toner carts as spares!

http://www.printerbase.co.uk/acatalog/xerox_6110.php?gclid=CJHVpvzc1pgCFQo1QwodZmKKcA

Worth a look if you decide to replace, depending on how much you print.

Roy
martin

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 10:40:08 AM »

or there's this - http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_7661.htm Wink

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Ivan
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »

Unfortunately, I had to replace the printer, as I needed a fix urgently (course paperwork), but I hate to waste a perfectly good printer (actually, I was very impressed with the magicolor - fast, jam free, very low standby power if I forgot to turn it off). The Magicolor (colour laser network printer) cost me 250, the replacement - a Lexmark colour network duplex printer cost 150 (after cashback).

Rooster's deal is even more incredible - the manufacturers are so geared up to making money on consumables, that the printer is virtually a free-gift, a bit like phone companies. It's getting to the stage that you ought to replace your printer when the ink runs out.

My personal view is that you might as well refill the cartridges as many times as you can, as you'll save more money than the printer costs to replace, in a very short time. Also better than throwing away a perfectly good complex part.
RichardKB

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 05:08:03 PM »

Did you note how the spare part prices compared to the 230 for a complete printer?
IIRC, its cheaper to buy another printer than to buy a full set of comsumables.
eBay offers 4 cartridges at 30/40 each (over 80 even as a set), the drum is 140+, so we are over 220 already, then there's the belt ...

QMS/Minolta/Konica have never gone in for posting tech info for the world to see.
But there's someone on eBay flogging service manuals on cd fur under a fiver...

There's a pro toner cartridge 'remanufacturing guide' (pdf) for the 2300 here
http://www.uninetimaging.com/newsletter/QMS_Magicolor_2300_Toner_Summit_Web.pdf
Take a look at Figures 3 and 4 to see the delicate arrangement of wipers and rollers (in each "toner cartridge") that transfer the toner to the main photoconductor (imaging) drum.

If a fault is limited to a particular colour, it has its origin within that 'cartridge'.
Since you are VERY unlikely to get spares for parts inside the cartridge (without taking up a toner refilling franchise), the simple thing to do is to replace the cartridge. And, ludicrously, it might even be economic to replace the printer.

For DIY repair (and certainly parts availability, especially from 3rd parties), just speaking very generally, HP are far and away the better bet.

That link the PDF although not described as the service manual it is actually the service manual.

The parts have always been expensive for repair as 15" screens for laptops until recently have been approx 150 yet you could buy a complete laptop for 250 new if you look around.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: