navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cable lengths feeding a Soladin 600  (Read 1510 times)
Cliff top

« on: February 13, 2009, 02:54:48 PM »

Just wondering if perhaps the 6m 13amp extension I am feeding across to the inverter might be losing some of the hard earned power from my wheel.

How close should one put the inverter to the meter? do you reckon 6m is too long? I could always lengthen the PMA tails to bring the low voltage AC right across to the inverter and sit that next to the meter.
Anyone any experience/thoughts?

PMA has its 3 phase AC output for 200mm before going into the rectifier. I then have 4m very thick pure copper speaker cable to take the 24-40vDC to the inverter which is plugged into a heavy duty 6m extension.

Cliff

Glass half full...half empty....As an engineer it's obvious the glass is twice as big as it needs to be
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:17:42 PM »

The 17th wiring regs and best practice regs say the inverter should be wired into a final circuit direct from the fuse box, using 2.5mm and an AC isolator at the inverter, with a DC isolator on the other side.  Don't worry though as mine is plugged into a socket also!

However if you want to be paid for grid tie I think it will have to comply with the regs, otherwise the distribution company might not give you the necessary paperwork for G83 compliance.

You won't get much loss in the AC cable, much more in the DC due to higher amps so keep the DC cable shorter.

-Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
Justme

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 04:22:52 PM »

You won't get much loss in the AC cable, much more in the DC due to higher amps so keep the DC cable shorter.

Or much much thicker.

If you can give us actual figures for the volts & watts/ amps & current speaker cable mm2 CSA size we can workm out the potential losses.

Justme

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
Cliff top

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 11:53:38 AM »

the worst loss will probably be the 4m of 12 gauge ofc copper speaker cable. this would have ~40vdc at 4a  so even that won't be too bad Huh surely

Glass half full...half empty....As an engineer it's obvious the glass is twice as big as it needs to be
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: