navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: memory upgrade for laptop  (Read 8738 times)
Ivan
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 12:21:59 AM »

Hah. Yes, it does happen to be a SATA drive, but it won't go in the case I bought, as Aria had a 320GB drive for about 35, which seemed like a good choice for the external case

Yes, everything runs slower than it ought to. My HD has about 150MB space at the moment, which doesn't help, but it was slow even when it had several GB of space. Windows seems to readily accumulate garbage to slow itself down, so you feel compelled to buy the latest computer.

I'd planned to have another go at Linux Ubuntu (http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/8.10/  - CD image file) - there's even a 64bit version, which would take advantage of the processor I have, but as usual, I can't get it to work - Nero won't burn the CD, it says the 'block size' is wrong.
knighty

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 11:12:42 AM »

I've hardly used linux... but I'm suprised nero wouldn't burn it.... google/try something called "gburner" (it's free)

it's not very flash, and doesen't really look up to much, but I'm suprised how well it works :-)
wdh

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 11:14:38 AM »

Hah. Yes, it does happen to be a SATA drive, but it won't go in the case I bought, as Aria had a 320GB drive for about 35, which seemed like a good choice for the external case
Actually, my thinking was just that mounting the old drive temporarily in the external box would be a simple means of transferring data to whatever new drive found its way into the laptop...  Cool

And, should you want to carry that much data, your new drive could go as the new internal... which would then leave you, if you wanted to stop there, with the old drive in the external box. After transferring everything to the new internal, and verifying the transfer, then you could wipe the old drive, and copy back to it your really important documents - probably less than 10% of its capacity. Any backup is better than none!

I can't help with Nero, but my understanding was that Ubuntu came as an ISO image, and all you needed to do was to burn it to a CD. (No idea what might happen if you tried to put it onto a blank DVD - afaik its a CD image but a big one, needing a 700mb/80 minute disk, certainly nothing smaller!)
So the 'trick' is just to find out how to burn (starting from an 'image') with Nero ...
damnager

St Ives

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 01:42:32 PM »

Ivan,
       I don't use Nero or Roxio, but, ISO Recorder http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm is free and works everytime.

Keith
daftlad

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 02:23:52 PM »

i had similar problems with ubuntu to sort it i downloaded the exact software that was suggested on the ubuntu website which unzipped it and burnt it at the same time.
So follow the instructions to the letter and it should work
Just fired up the other computer to check.
1/ save ubuntu to desktop
2/ download Infrarecorder (in think) burning software
3/ run infrarecorder and use it to burn ubuntu and as far as i remember it unzipp's it at the same time.
i am not sure about ubuntu, i do use it but it always seems a pain to get it to read file types that it doesn't know about, ie you have to install codecs and that isn't always easy.

laters

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: